Botrytis growing on soil

aamar

Hi I noticed I had botrytis growing on the soil, I haven't noticed any on my plants. I took the top layer of soil out and added more, would that be ok or should I repot my plants. I'm thinking about going over my soil with my butane lighter, and how would I use sulphur.

Thanks

Aamar

Hi Aamar, botrytis can be a recurring nightmare and I haven't found anything that actually treats it. The usual answer is to increase the ventilation somewhat, of course your butane lighter might get rid of it too, but hopefully not your plants and greenhouse in the process :smile: Good luck.

I think both your problems could be due to new compost.Sometimes it takes a while for the natural bacteria and microbes to come to a balance in the compost.This can appear as a greyish carpet over the soil,it can usually just be lifted off gently and the surface of the compost underneath just roughed up a bit, it will then go naturally if ventilation/heat and watering are correct.

Botrytis only usually grows on rotting or dead plants.

ada

I think both your problems could be due to new compost.Sometimes it takes a while for the natural bacteria and microbes to come to a balance in the compost.This can appear as a greyish carpet over the soil,it can usually just be lifted off gently and the surface of the compost underneath just roughed up a bit, it will then go naturally if ventilation/heat and watering are correct.

Botrytis only usually grows on rotting or dead plants.

This is probably what it is. I get it on all new compost I use, it does go eventually but can take a few months but does not seem to harm the plants in any way.