post to Italy

Hi,

Anyone else having problems posting to Italy?

I've had one take three weeks to turn up,turns out it went the scenic route via INDIA!

Now i've got one missing for two weeks!

One sent after the last one arrived without a problem.

Is it a regional thing? some get through and some don't. I might have to stop sending to Italy unless one of you Italians can tell me the best way for a package to arrive safely.

ada

Hi Ada, you sent with registered mail? ... generally this method has not problems; I'm waiting for a plant with shipping without registration, in a few days I'll be able to say

Even with registered post that takes 2 or 3 days to arrive into Italy can then take up to 3 weeks to actually get delivered. Two weeks isn't unusual. Middle of summer is the worst time because everyone is on holidays.

Hi Natale, no just normal mail,as asked for.Many buyers don't want to pay the extra cost,then of course the seller gets the blame.

If registered gets through O.K I'll have to stipulate that when selling in future, but dimitar says registered is just as bad now.

ada

This old chestnut! Plants sent to Italy can be destroyed in customs, if they check, they dont allow posting of plants. Hence you'll see on ebay many sellers refuse to ship to italy. Either that or the post is incredibly unreliable, which is also possible.

Generally I have had no issues, but something to consider nearly everyone I buy from in France or Italy always use signed for to send to me charging 10€+ and I pay it as I want the plants, they arrive normally after a week with no issues.

So if the plant is valuable or cannot be replaced make them pay for signed for deliver

I've never had problems with registered mail (it usually takes 1 week for arrive from anywhere in EU) but i had lots of problems with unregistered one, from outside italy and from inside too, and this period is terrible..my suggestion is to go only with the registered option

I did all my eBay auctions saying I will only post and quote UK shopping. Yet people from all over Europe with USA accounts could bid in my plants. So I have reluctantly shipped to France, Spain and Italy. I have spent about £300 on Royal Mail in the last week. I hope I am not blamed for list plants when people have been paying £0.99 for a plant shipped to Europe.

• Like 1

James,if they don't arrive you'll get the blame or negative feedback.

Its the first one for me if it doesn't arrive,but Trev says they can take three weeks in the summer,so there is still time.

ada

I did over 100 auctions as people that visited often bought more. Some people mailed to say they couldn't bid because eBay wouldn't let them, yet others with older accounts could. My eBay account is 15 years old and billed from USA. That's why it's all a but silly. If I block/cancel one bidder another comes along. Cannot win :) same here. I say Brooks hybrid for collection. All I get is PMs asking for price to ship to France ;) it's a 1m pitcher not likely :)

• Like 1

I find that parcels to France & Italy regulary take 3 weeks or more! Even a parcel to Calais which I can almost see from the seafront took 3 weeks to arrive!

Airsure is the best way to send tracked items abroad. As International signed for only tracks items in the UK- and finally you get a signiture once it arrives. However Italy is not signed up for Airsure- I wonder why??

And as Mark said if plants are discovered in France or Italy they are destroyed. And I doubt that RM would pay any compensation if they realised that the missing parcel sent to France or Italy had contained plants. So a bit of a gamble all round!

most of my plants has been bought from Mike king and always shipped with registered method and never had any problems (estimated time 1 week). When I buy plants I am giving always confident that with £ 10,00 or less (depending on the number of plants) can I have the registered delivery

Edited by Natale

It makes you wonder why France and Italy have clauses to destroy plants if discovered at customs when it is supposed to be free border and movement within the EU.

It makes you wonder why France and Italy have clauses to destroy plants if discovered at customs when it is supposed to be free border and movement within the EU.

Probably keeps some pen pushers in a job

Hi Ada, you sent with registered mail? ... generally this method has not problems; I'm waiting for a plant with shipping without registration, in a few days I'll be able to say

plant shipped from UK Wednesday, received today.

Hi Natale, I know most occasions plants i send arrive within a week.

One plant i sent after the one that is missing also arrived in 7 days.it just seems to be certain areas

ada

I did all my eBay auctions saying I will only post and quote UK shopping. Yet people from all over Europe with USA accounts could bid in my plants. So I have reluctantly shipped to France, Spain and Italy. I have spent about £300 on Royal Mail in the last week. I hope I am not blamed for list plants when people have been paying £0.99 for a plant shipped to Europe.

Aah, I did try and help you out by reducing the burden a little. ;)

• Like 1

I took a parcel to the post office to post to Italy, and they asked me what was in the parcel and I told them plants, they then looked up Italy in a leaflet and it said there were restrictions on some plants (no details). The post office person told me I could post the plants but at my own risk and their was no guarantee they would be delivered the other end even if sent signed for. Told this to my customer who cancelled the transaction, so I wont ship to Italy anymore

Exactly!

Same was here and they told me the same as u in my post office. However, some packages passed and people got them but some not - real gamble. Those which were Signed for and had custom declaration with description - live plants they were returned to me with stuffed and almost dead plants, becuase of the huge delay in Italy in their post office...

In other words the bueyr and I are dissapointed. I waste my time in packaging, going to the post office etc. and the person doesn't get it...

I will avoid sending plants to Italy but If I send in the future it will be at the buyer risk - no money back, there are no complaints...

I live in Milano(northern Italy) and I always get plants in about 10 days... (except for a single parcel, one lost in 4 years)

The best way is always send with registered mail!! Even from Italy to Italy, ordinary mail can be delivered both ithe day after or after 2 weeks...