Dionaea I.D

Richard Bunn

I'm not usually a fan of posts entitled 'ID this plant' as trouble can arise out of it but I couldn't resist.

Below is a VFT I bought as 'Ruby Royale' a couple of years ago. I didn't realise at the time that wasn't a cultivar. There is much mystery about the supplier of this plant as the label that came with it was from somewhere else (Alistair and Jenny in fact) and that says 'All Red Form'. Could it be that this plant is either Royal Red or even Green Dragon?

Anyone shed any light on this?

9208821863_5088dd74b3.jpg

Untitled by richardmbunn, on Flickr

9208825893_1fcba3d791.jpg

Untitled by richardmbunn, on Flickr

Easy Carnivores (Bugtraps)? Shocking. I bought an """Emerald Isle"""" supposedly all green form. It turned out to be a typical form, and a really weak one at that. I left it out over winter and it died even though it was mild, none of the others did. I'm glad to be rid of it.

It could just be a seed grown plant that they named, red seedlings are not uncommon if one of the parents is a red clone.

The nearest clone would be Green Dragon or Pink Dragon. (I think they are the same clone), this is the the original Pink Dragon, it came in amongst a batch of 20 Red Dragon's I bought from someone many years ago. Look familiar?

pinkdragonsm2005.jpg

Edited by Trev

That's them, I'd strongly advise other members to stay away from that lot.

Just so you know, as well as Easy Carnivores he (Les Pickin) also runs Easy Cacti and Easy Orchids. I think there's also one where he does exotic pets.

I think i'v posted info on the history of easy carnivores sometime ago . We may very well have sold Less pickens a red form VFT but that wouild have been many years ago and probably only one plant not in quantities for him to sell on . Any red form VFT from us is simply a plant from seed or one we can't confidently put a cultivar label in . For years we grew Royal Red and Red Dragon so it may be a X

I recon if you have got it from the Bugtraps store it is a good chance it is from Holland ( Carniflora ) as this is where 99.999 % of Easy Carnivores plants came from.

Hope this helps

Alistair

Trev, just to check, can the green colouration on the petioles occur on Royal Red as well as Green Dragon?

You can get a bit on early spring growth in low light, not on summer growth like in your picture.

I quite like the plant but will just have to consign it to being Red and that's it. It could do with being a bit more vigorous too. Oh that man's a douche. Every plant I've had from him has been a disaster.