Echinopsis bud...the suspense is mounting

Gaz

Although I had my Echinopsis for some years it never flowered before but, judging by the state of the bud, I think it should open any day now...

here it is

P6291529.jpg

and from a different angle :shock:

P6291527.jpg

....and here it is, before opening the bud was 21cm long. Fortunately we went back out to the GH about 8:30 last night to check and it had already opened. Luckily we took some photos there and then because, despite giving it some support, it collapsed under its own weight today.

As well as been beautiful it was also highly scented.

Definitely worth the years of waiting...

P6301558.jpg

P6301551.jpg

• Like 2

Absolutely stunning! The petals look almost like feathers, amazing flower. Pity we don't have smell 'O' vision! :laugh1:

Thanks Ian, yes the whole thing was amazing considering also that this cactus was an offset of a motherplant which we'd kept indoors for many years. The motherplant succumbed to mealy bugs infestion and close to giving up altogether on cacti I decided to move the offsets to the greenhouse for the winter. Lo and behold that did the trick and this flower developed (and another to folow by the looks of it) .

Sweet! Gaz, if you want to sell any offsets let me know.

Sweet! Gaz, if you want to sell any offsets let me know.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. I actually want to laugh when I see this (not because anything is really funny) because I wouldn't have pictured that flower coming from that cactus. I mean, yeah, it's incredible, but seems to be out of place. I love it, I'll need to get one for myself.

Beautiful flower! I've always though cacti and their flowers are a rather wonderful juxtaposition really, some of the most nondescript plants have the most beautiful flowers.