Huernia Zebrina Flower Buds.

Ian_P

Hello everyone,

I had this Huernia Zebrina division off Stephen, gardenofeden, about a month ago and after I potted it up, it soon started to put out a new growth point.

But imagine how surprised I was last night when I was tucking my plants up for the night and saw this flower bud starting to appear. :dance4:

This is the new growth with the bud at the bottom,

Newgrowthwithbud29-6-13.jpg

A view from the side,

Newgrowthwithbud29-6-132.jpg

And a close up of the bud,

Newgrowthwithbud29-6-133.jpg

Looking at the closeup image, it looks like there will be more than one flower growing.

I was only thinking the other day about buying some cactus compost, but now I'm not sure if I should disturb it, as it's obviously happy (and so am I) and thriving.

I'll post some more pictures as it progresses.

Many thanks to Stephen for hooking me up with the plant division. :good2:

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1

Great Huernia Ian, be sure to post when the flower opens, they very impressive. I also had a couple of Huernias from Stephen, 1 has flowered continuously since February with 4 flowers just about to open right now.

• Like 1

Great Huernia Ian, be sure to post when the flower opens, they very impressive. I also had a couple of Huernias from Stephen, 1 has flowered continuously since February with 4 flowers just about to open right now.

Hi Gaz,

It was the picture of your Huernia that you posted a while back that made me want to give them a go, as you say they do have very impressive flowers.

I'll be posting more pics as it blooms.

Regards,

Ian.

I read somewhere on the internet that the smell of carrion is only detectable by flies. The human nose just isn't sensitive enough.

Hi Ian, happy to have inspired you if that's the case :cheers:

Martin, I have H. zebrina 'magniflora', H. keniensis & H. pillansii all flowering at the moment and I can't detect any smell whatsoever. Maybe some of the larger flowered species have this attribute or maybe as Ian read the human nose is just not sensitive enough. I'll post a few more photos once the buds open on a couple more plants I'm waiting for.

• Like 1

Well, I think I've been bitten by the cactus bug as well as the cp bug.

Just won an auction on eBay for H. Zebrina V. Magniflora. It looks like I'm going to need a bigger flat! :laugh1:

• Like 1

Martin, I have H. zebrina 'magniflora', H. keniensis & H. pillansii all flowering at the moment and I can't detect any smell whatsoever. Maybe some of the larger flowered species have this attribute or maybe as Ian read the human nose is just not sensitive enough.

OK. I can assure you it's not the case with Stapelia, even my poor sense of smell can detect it :sick:

• Like 1

...strangely when a flower bud appears they always seem to fall off :roll: Impressive flowers however.

Although they are succullent plants my understanding is that during the growing season they can stand quite a bit of water and fertiliser as long as the compost is very open and free draining, I read somewhere that a lack of water can cause buds to abort so perhaps this is the problem with your colleagues plant.

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 1

oh yes, Stapelia is a real stinker! :bad:

I might get my Dad one of those.

At least then I can say, "He couldn't grow stink on a monkey, but he sure can grow it on a cactus!" :laugh1:

Edited by Ian_P

i would take care of that for you stephen,really want to try huernia,i have a couple of stapelia that are growing well for me and would i be correct in thinking similar care (i could not find huernia for sale )

Edited by corky

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some pics of the bud I took this morning, shouldn't be long now by the look of it. :Laie_97:

HZebrina15-7-132.jpg

HZebrina15-7-131.jpg

Yep won't be long now and in full view too, not bad for your first flower, mine often hide under the stems or face up against the edge of the pot. They stay open for a few days before fading away so you should have ample opportunity to get the camera out again.

• Like 1

Guest Andreas Eils

I too have a cutting of Stephens H. zebrina. On my plant there is no flower bud! :cray: Instead of a flower bud I had spider mites and needed to apply Thiacloprid... :verymad: I am hoping the very good and summery weather will still convince the Huernias to build flowers. :yes:

Greetings

Andreas