Sign in to follow this  
Deadly Weapon

Drosera rotundifolia in Alavus, Finland

Also here --> http://jigsawcarnivores.blogspot.fi/

Howdy howdy. You might think that "Yay! DW is in his home and will start writing about his plants again." No, I'm not! I'm still on holiday on the other side of Finland in Alavus. It has been just so peaceful in here so I took a bike and cycled around the countryside. Now here's the lucky part, I was cycling in the woods and suddenly I saw a swamp and went to see it closer just for fun.

alavus_kasvupaikka_zpscdb7992e.jpg

Well you happen to have one dam lucky blog author here, because there were hundreds of Drosera rotundifolia growing on this swamp. The sphagnum was pretty dense compared to most of the swamps I've been to and it only pressed down few centimeters under my feet.

kihokit_luonnossa3_zps276c1f9d.jpg

The swamp seemed pretty untouched, mostly because of it's location (Ain't gonna tell you the precise location. Hahaha!) and because there grew no cloudberries, which are some of the most delicious berries growing in Finland (But not in my opinion. I agree with Gordon Ramsay when he visited Finland and tasted cloudberry jam he just asked "Do you feed this for your horses?")

kihokit_luonnossa1_zpsaaadef16.jpg

The diversity in this population is pretty good for just being few hundred plants. There were mostly youngish I'd say 2-3 years old plants with a diameter about 5 cm (2"). They grew on sphagnum and most of them had erect leaves. The plant in the following picture is about 9 cm (3.5") in diameter and the leaves have a nice nice upward curve.

kihokit_luonnossa2_zpsee233244.jpg

The plants had in general a very rich red coloration and as you can see most of the sundews there are soon ready to bloom. I mus consider returning there few days later to see how's the flowering.

kihokit_luonnossa4_zpsf7f5bb47.jpg

These are really the biggest sundews I've ever seen in the nature but I've seen about three or four populations. One of the populations I've seen grows on sand and I hope that I'll be able to travel there during this summer. The third population I've seen is in Finnish Lapland but I don't remember much about it.

Also some bird photos:

isokuovi2_zps1a867d0d.jpg

isokuovi2_zps7c56896f.jpg

And yes, I had to look if there were some birds too. In nearby fields I saw Numenius arquata or Eurasian Curlew which happens to be Finland's largest wader.

That's all with the report! I'm off doing some summery stuff, getting tan and swimming and so on. Cheers!

• Like 1

Beautiful images of D. rotundifolia in nature, thank you for sharing.

Best regards,

Rodrigo

That's a nice place, I love those landscapes. Did you find some more CP species in this place? It looks like also suitable for Drosera longifolia, Pinguicula vulgaris and P. villosa.

Rodrigo : Thanks

Kisscool : I searched the north part of the swamp but saw no other carnivorous plants in there, even if the conditions are very suitable for the plants you mentioned. I must search rest of the swamp after I return there with a pair of rupper boots, crocs aren't the best footwear for swamp expedition. :D

Nice, but they also grow wild closer to my home. Not more then a km from here. And the most comon cp in the Nertherlands.

Would be nice to see some pictures of Aldrovanda near Lake Ladoga. Not so far from Finland.

Alexander

Yes, they are most common cp here too, but being common doesn't mean they're not beautiful. What? There are Aldrovanda that close to Finland? Someday when I get a passport and a visa I will sure go to Russia and hopefully near Ladoga too.

Yes, they are most common cp here too, but being common doesn't mean they're not beautiful. What? There are Aldrovanda that close to Finland? Someday when I get a passport and a visa I will sure go to Russia and hopefully near Ladoga too.

You can find a lot of information on the website of Lubomir Adamec. And there is also an Aldrovanda population here in The Netherlands.

About Drosera rotundifolia, its indeed a very nice plant. Had a look at the local population here in my town yesterday. They where just looking lovely there among the sphagnum moss. And fortunately they are fairly common here in the country. About the local population. Its an area where ones there was only greem meadows with cows. Then about 20 years ago they had created there a wetland for birds. At one location there was a moist sandy area of about 100 by 20 meters. Its there where you can see the sundews now. Also other nice plants like Dactylorhiza praetermissa and Osmunda regalis grow there. The field gets mowned every autumn to prevent it fro getting overgrown. And the hay is removed then. Otherwise it would turn into forest very soon.

Alexander

Edited by Alexander Nijman

About those Aldrovandas in the Lake Ladoga area, it is at the southeastern part of the lake. Its the largest Aldrovanda population in the World as far as I know. And the most northerly one.

Alexander