Aphid damage or clone?

Blocky71

Hi all

I bought a bundle of vft bulbs from Trev on here earlier in the year, I've been enjoying watching them growing and trying to fathom out the different clones.

I was however besieged by aphids at one stage, they seem to have appeared from nowhere.

Buyers ultimate bug killer took care of them nicely thankfully.

So back to the point, in amongst the plants I found this oddity

image_zps4ddf7329.jpg

I'm wondering if it's a funnel trap or a shuppentiel or similar due to the ridges on the petiole or if this is just the result of any aphid damage it may have sustained as a freshly emerging bulb?.

The actual traps are tiny too at the moment, I'll enjoy watching how this weirdo developes....

I don't think it's a clone. This happened to a few of my plants (including a nepenthes) after I used an insecticide on them. It may be a deformation due to pests (mine were suffering from globular springtails) or the pesticide.

Edited by maxxima

Aw that's a shame Trev, I wanted to rub your nose in it HA HA HA !

Joking aside I've really enjoyed watching the bulbs develop into strong healthy plants, I don't think I lost one bulb.

Now all I have to do is find room for them !.

I'll get a pic up shortly ;-)

Looking great Chris. You dont have this plant in amongst them do you? piranhaXunknown.jpg

I think he accidentally got put in with one of the bulk sales this year. Would be nice to get a spare of it again one day if I ever track it down.

Trev

Yeah, I forget the subtle differences I see go over most peoples heads. It's a Piranha X?, the picture doesn't do it justice but it's the only one I have. Has a very upright growth habit, traps are a more purplely red than Sawtooth and have a streaky appearance. Teeth vary depending on trap size, smaller ones are dentate, middling are sawtooth and large are like fine bristles.

Ok mate, I'll go and have a study when I get a chance ( it's just started tipping it down and looks set to last!).

I think it will probably be easier to email you pics of any that are similar looking so p.m me your email please mate and I'll forward on any suspects ;-)