Sign in to follow this  
Richard Bunn

Sarracenia leaf pullings. Who dares.

I'm curious as to anyone who has tried Sarracenia leaf pullings and to what success. I read an article by Barry Rice and he's had a lot of success with purpureas and psittacina but his results were inconclusive with other species, partially due to time restraints in my opinion. Has any one else had success with other species or hybrids? Barry's article can be found here.

I pulled a leaf recently, which had a root attached. I've potted it to see what happens.

Hi Richard

I have inadvertantly had success with leaf pullings on many occasions, when I am 'tidying' the bog plants if I pull a leaf with a fair amount of rhizome clasp attached I just push it a couple of inches into the bog and leave it just to give it a chance. A fair few take and after a couple of years you have a repectably sized plant. As it probably says in the article old plants dont take to this well, young to mid age plant pullings seem to take more readily, dont expect to see anything quickly, dont throw the leaf out if it apears to die, that sometimes seems to spur the growth.

I have quite a few hybrids that have taken this way, the hybrid vigour seems to help, and flavas, but havent tried with minors, leucos, purps or psitts. I do it just because I have the room in the bog and it takes no looking after, but I would guess that in a greenhouse or pot it would be different, and more labour intensive, I dont think it would be a worthwhile proposition to reproduce plants in quantity this way but if like me you can just pop them in the ground and forget them, any plant taking is a bonus.

Cheers

steve

I took four from a rather nice large Catesbaei last night.

Edited by Richard Bunn