Large plant trays

Does anyone know where I can get an extra large plant tray, or lagoon tray? Ideally I'm looking for one about 2' wide, x 7'6" long, preferably plastic, but not imperative!

I don't want to spend too much money...

Garland have the largest gravel trays I've seen. Available in all sorts of sizes, but nothing as large as you are looking for.

Have a look; http://www.garlandproducts.com/component/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,30/page,shop.browse/category_id,2/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=30&page=shop.browse&category_id=2&vmcchk=1

I selected several trays of different dimensions to fit onto my staging. Maybe that might work?

Thanks all, I'm beginning to think that home-made is probably the only way forward. My dad was a carpenter - pity I didn't inherit any of his woodworking genes!!

Wish me luck!

• Like 1

Big plastic trays warp eventually. I've made mine out of chipboard (they'll cut big sheets down to size at B&Q) and PVA glued on strips of wood for the edges. I then varnished everything and tacked on the pond liner with upholstery tacks.

Instructions here: http://www.vleesetendeplanten.nl/en/information/constructing%20a%20greenhouse.pdf

Thanks for the link Alexis. There's some good info there!

There's usually a ready stock of wooden pallets at the allotment. Maybe I could try to cobble some of them together...

Some Troughs i made worked out at around £15 each, were around 2 meters long by about a 1/2 meter wide.. think 150mm deep.

these were made from decking boards from homebase 2x for each frame and pond liner was about £15 posted enough to do the 2 i built.

Had a roll of carpet kicking around so lined each with that to prevent peircing, other than that all that was needed was some 4inch screws at each corner, a drill for pilot holes and a heavy duty staple gun, whole thing worked a charm.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

It might not be exactly what you want, but I bought some storage platic boxes at Ikea. Quite cheap and ideal size for me. You might have to dig a bit to find the size you want, since they are not at the same place (neither on the website nor in the shop...)

The other one I have on my balcony is also a plastic box, but it was too high so I cut it. At the end, much cheaper than the same kind of box at the wanted height.

Cheers

Vincent

Big plastic trays warp eventually. I've made mine out of chipboard (they'll cut big sheets down to size at B&Q) and PVA glued on strips of wood for the edges. I then varnished everything and tacked on the pond liner with upholstery tacks.

Instructions here: http://www.vleeseten... greenhouse.pdf

I want to try to make something like this but my question is if you use nails to put the pond liner to the wood doesn't it leak then? And how do you fold the corners nicely. Could your provide some detailed pictures perhaps?

Thanks.

I can't offer advice on folding nice corners as I can't even wrap a box at christmas. But regarding leaking, you would only nail the liner high up at the top, or perhaps the very top, or the outside for that matter. Carpet tacks should do it.

Woah, that's my entire life's DIY work there in that sentence. Feels like I ought to put on a rugby shirt, drink pints of beer and watch a soccer match now while shouting 'come on my son!'.

Edited by Richard Bunn
  • Like 2

I got ripped off by a builder once and am now building my own house, so one thing leads to another. You tube has many videos on all sorts of projects, so go there and look, and like me, you will end up doing a house. PS. Use screws instead of nails to join wood, but pre-drill holes to make life easier. Once you get the momentum going, there is no stopping. Best of luck.

Well, I decided to have a go at cobbling something together with some old pallets, and here's the fruit of my efforts:

I forgot to take a before photo of the pallets, but I think we all know what they look like! But here's the completed structure (about 7'6" x 2')

IMG_0187_zpsd1706743.jpg

I then lined it with a thick black polythene liner:

IMG_0188_zpsaa7c9403.jpg

And here it is in the greenhouse:

IMG_0189_zpsa4ad8c2c.jpg

It's not perfect, but it'll probably do for the time being...

• Like 5