Sign in to follow this  
kisscool_38

Pinguicula x gresivaudanica

As its description has been published a few days ago, I'm glad to introduce you Pinguicula x gresivaudanica, a new butterwort natural hybrid implicating P. grandiflora subsp. rosea and P. vulgaris subsp. vulgaris as parents. This hybrid is morphologically different from P. x scullyi, its counterpart implicating the type subspecies of P. grandiflora. Up to now, only three locations of this hybrid has been found. Here are a few pictures taken this year at the type location:

Due to the low number of plants in the wild, I beg you not to collect some plants. This plant is alrealdy in cultivation and will become soon available.

As you can see, it is morphologically close to Pinguicula grandiflora subsp. grandiflora, so that there has been many confusions between both. The presence of this species has then been surely overestimated to northern french Alps.

Regards

Edited by kisscool_38

Interesting article, Aymeric. I wonder what other surprises may be hidden in the Alps, because i do not doubt that there is anything other hybrids Pings and perhaps new species waiting to be identified.

Thank you for sharing this discovery.

Best regards,

Rodrigo

What a dubious author...!

Joking aside, good to know that P. grandiflora subsp. rosea also does hybrids with P. vulgaris like subsp. grandiflora, eventhough it was to be assumed. Would be interesting to find some hybrids of the pallida form too and how they look like.

Also glad you took into consideration the fertility or in this case sterility of the hybrid.

Thanks for sharing!