Some cephalotus picture in the spring time - flowers.

Marek Wozny

Hello

Just a few picture from my cephalotus family.

This Year I have luck to see them in flower.

Cephalotus normal forms :

ca71d065f8db54829ae9d0d0f1cee177.jpg

f2ee77670953dece0b86788f988c6548.jpg

0de0ae2fc28ab01484f2bb553ba77109.jpg

e3dcc71213f6230307ccb30b20165720.jpg

Cephalotus Hummers Giant

5079ce57465e6c920e83eae824ee8698.jpg

Cephalotus Dudley Watts

ecdfb07f0da03631051d0dc7cad3c89c.jpg

Cephalotus Big Boy with some albino trap :

6ba238193e26358ed7db509fbb7a32fb.jpg

a59d1bd7e767d1be3835a74a09955af9.jpg

And finally Cephalotus Eden Black that was arrive to me last autumn.

The most amazing is that this small one is set for me flower :-).

Thanks Stephen.

ad7a6e31656fc6447a290aaee1383805.jpg

I hope to see some dark pitchers this summer - autumn time, need wait.

Regards

• Like 6

It is a few days later now and the flower stalk of Eden Black looks bigger and have more reddish color.

For most cephalotus I using dead sphagnum moss as top dressing. So it is usually not very wet, due loosely condition.

The picture was taken last days and we have now very hot temperatures here. I using tray watering method, and refilling the water when the tray is empty.

So that's why the soil looks a little dry, it was time when the water level was very low.

As for the white trap, it was not covered during growth. This is a natural anomaly, which appeared in the autumn.I'm thinking about taking a leaf pulling but it's still a very small plant and leaves, so I do not know if this succeed. I will try to do leaf pulling this week and will report later about the situation.

Regards

Edited by Marek Wozny

• 3 months later...

Hi

Just let You know only that the leaf cutting was died, so no luck in this case.

But I was just end harvesting seeds - lots of normal form and great looking EDEN BLACK seeds (mostly self pollinated).

I will try sow them and we see if there will be next EB generations from seeds :-).

Regards

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi again

Just a little update and question.

Hummer Giant have now 3-4 years from cutting.

I need use now bigger pots, so it is time to divide.

I want ask Cephalotus growers about opinion - the plant have still small traps without characteristic vertical lid. Should I wait to fully maturity of the plant to get this look ? What is Your experience with this cultivar.

f675142bfe9660ce8eb31bea8396669b.jpg

755d11db655a67045b34910532425920.jpg

And here You are first seedling of Eden Black x self seeds that I was harvested in Autumn time.

They was germinatef after 4 months (with cold stratification).

1d059ca455a29968106ad6f8cbd00a25.jpg

Regards

Edited by Marek Wozny
  • Like 1

the plant have still small traps without characteristic vertical lid. Should I wait to fully maturity of the plant to get this look ? What is Your experience with this cultivar.

C.f Hummer's giant is very conditional statement and there exist 1234567654 variations in cultivation from that form. 99% from them are fakes, crosses, seed grown variations etc and the rest 1% is the real but which one from all 12345676548986767 no one knows and where it is also no one knows, because everyone think that his plant is the real one.

However, your plant is enough mature and should form vertical lids if it has those genes in it. Not only Hummer's giant form vertical lids of the pitchers but many others cultivars, not cultivars and even so called " typical" Cephalotus. So, if your plant called Hummer's giant will form vertical lids or not, it's not typical characteristic if your plant is genuine or not but this isn't so important. Just enjoy your plant.

I have no way of knowing with 100% certainty if my 'Hummer's Giant' is genuine and I suspect that is the case for many. I can trace it back through some reputable growers, but not all the way back to the originator. Unless one can trace it back to the originator then how can one be certain it is genuine? This is true of any variety that does not have definite distinguishable characteristics that are not present in any other variety.

So, at the end of the day we should enjoy our plants for what they are, rather than what they are supposed to be or what someone has called them and in the case of your plant it looks nice... so enjoy.

I will arrange some improvement. Will put the plant in the more shaded area. Growing in full sun is always good for nice colour but the traps growing smaller.

As for the origin, I have confirm that very mature mother plant developing 6cm traps.

So my only question was to check how it looks this in other collections - especially I want know how it is with the vertical lid.

It can be also full sun actions, and when the plant will grow in a little shade the humidity and temperature will be changing - developing bigger and more opened traps.

got some nice plants there , showing good colour and shape, congrats.

As far as lids question, if they become vertical lid or not from full sun or any other growing habit , personally think not, it will depend as mentioned before on the type or genus of the particular plant weather it carries the vertical lid genus, I have a plant or 2, 1 in particular , not Hummer not any other name, that do this , all the time, hot , cold , full sun shade, its there habit .

As for plants that lift there lids in full sun , " most " dont go to vertical, more to over 1/2 to 3/4 ,and close when under stress , lack of pitcher water or over heating or going to die at times. and will depend on your climate and growing conditions how its affected ,every ones climate and growing conditions is different,and probably get different results.

As far as Hummer having vertical lids, all the hummers or so called hummer here in AU , none that I know over have vertical lids, , my friend who has one of the original plant lines ,never caries a vertical lid in his plants that I have seen.

Edited by snapperhead51

So from what I see here and read, you have several different clones/ forms of Hummer, ?? how can this be ! , there is only one plant not several types / forms , , !! some thing not right here , if its different its different not original plant !. look back to original source !

The original plant from Steve Beckworth sent to John Hummer has not change at all , its still the same here , not evolved or bigger lids, different shaped, more teeth what ever, that's crap , , so if you dont have a true looking hummer plant , well guess you ant got one ,and some one has given you a dud plant !! or a copy or crossed seed grown plant.

dont give me it can change or its crossed or evolved, that's bull , if its original that what it is, it dont change , only intervention changes it!,, .if that is so then it should have been name so , hummer cross or self plant ,seed grown , what ever

only crossing may change it in some way given some variations that should not be there !.

!once again think $$ singes in some peoples eyes has sent out incorrect /non original plants to people !!

Edited by snapperhead51
  • Like 4

As has been said before, there are more than one plant being grown as Hummers Giant. Whether any if them are identical to the original is unknown. This is also true of other cultivars/clones, particularly Big Boy and vigprous clumping.

More recently there is a dark pitchered form with this label. Although attractive this is definitely not the cultivar.

What did not help was the editors note on the cultivar description, which stated that any large Ceph in collections was likely to be this cultivar!

• Like 1