Sign in to follow this  
Richard Bunn

What books did Adrian Slack write?

I get really confused with all the reprints and different covers of Adrian Slack's books. Can anyone tell me how many books he actually wrote?

Is Insect Eating Plants and How to Grow Them (1988) the same book as Carnivorous Plants (1979)

just in a different cover?

I was of the impression there was only two but now something is hinting at three...

I have Carnivorous Plants (1979) [i think mine is the 2000 edition with this cover], and Insect Eaters which is dated 2006 but I know it's a much earlier book but not sure of its history (perhaps it's a reprint of Insect Eating Plants and How to Grow Them)

Basically, am I right in assuming that for the sake of book content you only really need to own Carnivorous Plants and Insect Eaters? Unless of course you're obsessed with having every cover and dust jacket printed.

He wrote 2

Carnivorous Plants was the first, and has been reprinted with the same title. The 2nd edition has an extra appendix I think.

His 2nd was insect Eating Plants and how to grow them. This was reprinted many years later as Insect Eaters, but with some photos missing...

So:

1979 book is Carnivorous Plants (reprinted in 2000)

1986 book is Insect Eating Plants and How to Grow Them (reprinted in 2006 as Insect Eaters)

Insect Eaters is a poor relation to the original 1986 Insect Eating Plants and How to Grow Them. I still use the original for the information that Slack gives.

Cheers

Alex.

It was Slack's Carnivorous Plants book that got me started. By the time the eagerly anticipated Insect Eating Plants And How To Grow Them came out the how to grow them bit was redundant .:D Still good books for starting out.

The newer book what the one I got in 2009/10 when I got back into the hobby to re-learn everything. I found it had a very simple yet informative approach. I bought the older book last year and it's a much harder read as it's so technical, plus it doesn't seem to have as much growing advice for each genera.

Insect Eaters is a poor relation to the original 1986 Insect Eating Plants and How to Grow Them. I still use the original for the information that Slack gives.

Cheers

Alex.

Now I'm confused with what book name/what date again. Isn't the post I put above correct?

1979 book is Carnivorous Plants (reprinted in 2000)

1986 book is Insect Eating Plants and How to Grow Them (reprinted in 2006 as Insect Eaters)

I've got all four..

1979 Carnivorous Plants, reprint 2000: Carnivorous Plants

1986 Insect-Eating Plants & How to grow them, reprint 2006: Insect Eaters

Now I'm confused with what book name/what date again. Isn't the post I put above correct?

[/i]

I was looking for an online review but couldn't find one. From what I remember, the reprint lacked some photos and drawings and the text was mixed about. There may be some text missing, too, I don't know. What is unlikely is that anything extra was added.