The CPS member services

As I start to save up for membership to either the CPS or the ICPS over the next few weeks something came to mind that I was wondering if one of the committee of the CPS could clarify for me.

The ICPS has an online feature where every member can view PDF files of every past issue of the newsletter. Does the UK CP Society provide access to back issues of the journal this way, or disk or something?

I feel I should be supporting the society that is closest to home for me but at the same time, and I'm not giving out or being funny about it, it's not a country I live in so can't get to the events and I feel I'd have better use out of my membership if I can read loads of past issues of the journal.

Eventually I will become a member of both societies as I want to be loyal but as I'm on an incredibly low income I want to go for the one with the most to offer first.

Edited by Richard Bunn

Hi Richard.

We did used to have a function for downloading any current newsletter I think for that year on the old website.

There will be more features planned but seeing as the past journal and newsletters has been replaced with two Planta Carnivora per year and without doubt the best publication the Carnivorous Plant Society has ever published.

However for the years 1978 - 2003 we have on offer a Silver jubilee CD with all newsletters covering those years.

You can get these here for £5.90. http://www.thecps.org.uk/products.php

Ian Salter

The Carnivorous Plant Society

Promotions Officer.

Hi Richard

we are currently looking at putting all back issues of the Journal in a downloadable format on the website for members only. This will take some time as it will take a lot of work and some expence.

cheers

Dennis Balsdon

CPS Membership secretary

Hi Richard,

Let me start that I hope that you will be soon in a position to join both societies as each has their own value and is a solid society.

However ( with the risk of Dennis being angry at me or worse Ian using me for practice :flag_of_truce:) I think that if the acces to magazines is the point that will make your current choice I think the ICPS is the best option as I honestly think that this will provide you with the most information. One warning: CPN has a high content of articles that are more technical (pure research) so not everbody will like them. :wink:

Bit naughty Mr van den Broek. :moderator: Both offer different things, of equal value depending on the individual reader. The ICPS by-and-large high quality academically written and peer reviewed papers (strong coffee) and the CPS and other cp societies high quality articles and news for the generalist (cup of tea). Tut, tut :nono: consider yourself told off :smile:

Bit naughty Mr van den Broek. :moderator: Both offer different things, of equal value depending on the individual reader. The ICPS by-and-large high quality academically written and peer reviewed papers (strong coffee) and the CPS and other cp societies high quality articles and news for the generalist (cup of tea). Tut, tut :nono: consider yourself told off :smile:

:on_the_quiet:

I did say the CPN text is more technical Mr Bailey. Some people prefer strong coffee to tea :whistle3:

See you in Nancy, submitted the review of Dionaea for CPN last month :cheers:

Well I'll make a deal. As it's financially impractical to join 2 societies at once, and I've got to think about what that would be like when membership renewal comes up, then I'll join the ICPS soon and the CPS around Christmas/New Year. Cost will be spread out then.

• 1 month later...

I really do hope that the CPS can get their back issues into PDF and online really soon. I'd even offer to do it for them myself for free as I have quite a bit of time on my hands at the minute. Well I could do the scanning anyway, I wouldn't expect to be given access to their website to upload the files but that's a simple job.

Reason being I'm getting a tremendous amount of insight into the hobby over the years and am learning so much from the back issues of the CPN from the ICPS. If I was to join the CPS tomorrow, due to where I live I wouldn't get very much out of my membership to keep me 'entertained' so to speak. Yes I'll have my 2 issues of the journal a year but I can't go to any of the open days and can't go reading the back issues online to cheer me up having missed out on the open days. The seed bank is excellent but you're very limited to the amount of packets you can have compared to the ICPS rules.

I'm not being nit picking or anything. I'm just trying to be constructive in my criticism in hope that it can be taken aboard and used to make what is already a brilliant society into something more accessible for it's members.

It's incredibly late when I wrote this so I sincerely hope I haven't ruffled anyone's feathers. I can assure you it wasn't intended.

Richard

Edited by Richard Bunn

Hi Richard

We are about half way through scanning the back issues of the CPS Journal (now Planta Carnivora). Hopefully this will be complete and will be available to members in the next few weeks

There is an open day on Saturday the 10th of August in County Armagh that you could get to without having to cross the sea. Details are on the CPS website.

Incidently, CPS members helped in the construction of and contributed most of the CPs to be seen in the Bog of Allen Nature Centre CP display (run by the Irish Peatland Conservation Council). We have also made a recent donation to a peat land conservation project in Ireland.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis this is all fantastic news.

I don't know if James' open day is open to non members but it is likely I won't be able to make it as I can't pull together the money for accomodation in such a short space of time. Although I do have free travel and could catch the train up it would have me arriving at 12:37 and leaving again at 14:41 so obviously a same day return is out. Shame but there's always next year.

I was only pondering about what the plants at the Peatland Conservation Council would be like as it's on my list of places to see if I could help with the collection. Glad to hear about the donation.

All the best.