Using bottled water

I have been caught short and can't get to my usual RO supplier so I'm going to have to find an alternative. Rainwater isn't an option and neither is tapwater. So far I've found references to Tesco value water being fairly soft and Voss artisan water is supposed to be 44 TTS. Can anyone confirm if either of those is suitable or give any better alternatives?

Have you checked if your local aquatics shop offers RO water? - make sure they put it in a container that has not previously been used for saltwater though! Alternatively, the large supermarkets sell deionised water in either the washing aisle or the car maintenance section. The supermarket option is OK for small qualities, but gets too expensive if you have a large collection of plants.

Thanks! I will have a look for the deionized water. I normally get RO at my local aquatics shop but I can't get there for a while so I just need an alternative to tide me over.

Edited by Ony

Agree with the above - bottled water I would think comes in still in the 100-200 tds range as 'pure' or low mineral water tastes awful. They usually add some extra in to get the balance of taste right.

You can definitely buy De-ionised 'pure' water from Asda if you have one near you. It's with the car maintenance section and comes in a 2.5 ltr white bottle for £1.19. http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/search/searchcontainer.jsp?trailSize=1&searchString=959953&domainName=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=389916

As mobile says though, even at a relatively cheap £1.19, supermarket options are expensive as litres soon get used up in watering!

Edited by Stu

I'm using bottled water for all my CPs from drosophyllum to utrics. The label reads 56 mikrosiemens (don't know if that's TTS for you). I haven't had any problems. It might make a difference however that I generously top water all my plants including flytraps.

I have been caught short and can't get to my usual RO supplier so I'm going to have to find an alternative. Rainwater isn't an option and neither is tapwater. So far I've found references to Tesco value water being fairly soft and Voss artisan water is supposed to be 44 TTS. Can anyone confirm if either of those is suitable or give any better alternatives?

• Like 1