Stephen Morley Open Day 6th July

gardenofeden

Just a heads up for my open day on 6th July. A quick reply to give me an idea of numbers would be useful.

12 noon till 5 pm.

I will have a good range if plants for sale including some

Dionaea 'cross teeth'

Heliamphora heterodoxa x ionasii

Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor

Darlingtonia 'Othello'

Cephalotus, several clones, various sizes

Sarracenia, several different clones

Food and refreshments available.

This is a CPS open day, but as always forum members are very welcome.

Why does EVERYBODY live so far away? Although I keep threatening to pay Trev a visit but something always crops up. I did have a fella who worked at the National Botanical Gardens in Glasnevin visit my collection yesterday. It was very educational for him as he had no idea the plants were so easy to keep. I was chuffed to be getting a little recognition for my modest little collection. Perhaps I should call it an open day. LOL.

Edited by Richard Bunn

Got any pictures of your greenhouse you could post, and possibly a few plants to maybe lure a few more members to your open day?

Could do, but that may spoil the surprise for visitors. ;)

I should say that my open day seems to have become a big trading and sales event for everyone else, the number of plants brought to sell by others seems to be more than my whole collection! So if you want some good clones at knock-down prices...

I love the way you seem to have everything in the one Greenhouse and it all looks to grow really well together. So many people seem to faff around providing different growing conditions and separate grow places for different species. I have to say I find the idea rather refreshing.

Edited by mattynatureboy44

Ah but isn't your Nep and Heliamphora section heated differently from the main section? What about your Mexican Pings?

No, that was the idea initially with the end section but it never happened. The neps get a low power heating cable through the sand in winter but that's about it. The Heliamphora sit in the lagoons with the Sarracenia. The mex Pings sit under the bench all year.

Edited by gardenofeden

No, that was the idea initially with the end section but it never happened. The neps get a low power heating cable through the sand in winter but that's about it. The Heliamphora sit in the lagoons with the Sarracenia. The mex Pings sit under the bench all year.

Interesting. So basically your Helis are just set at 5c as that's what you heat your greenhouse. A little more in the other section with the heating cable although that section doesn't get the same benefit from the heater.

Interesting. So basically your Helis are just set at 5c as that's what you heat your greenhouse. A little more in the other section with the heating cable although that section doesn't get the same benefit from the heater.

Yes the Helis are at 5C, but note that not many will cope with that temp, only heterodoxa x ionasii and heterodoxa x minor do well. All others slowly fade away...

The heater is close to the end section and blows into it so it gets the benefit. The heating cable in winter does not raise the temp in any measurable way but the Neps seem happier with rather than without, perhaps having the roots ever so slightly warmer is of benefit?

Edited by gardenofeden

Yes the Helis are at 5C, but note that not many will cope with that temp, only heterodoxa x ionasii and heterodoxa x minor do well. All others slowly fade away...

Have you tried Heterodoaxa x Nutans? I have a clone that is kept at 0-3c over winter that does really well for me. It even survived one year unheated but took ages to recover in spring and summer but it survived and that really surprised me.

I got one of your heterodoxa x ionasii off you at Mikes open day. I am hoping it can tolerate the 0-3c.