'tis the season to kill the seedlings...

John Jearrard

It isn't the best job in the world., but the southwest open days are coming up in a week or so (22nd/23rd June) and I thought it was best to get rid of the seedlings that don't make the grade before people see them. 9028680368_7aeb14ecd8.jpg

Sarracenia 4, 120613 by John Jearrard, on Flickr These are six years old now. I went through them two years ago and threw most away, but there are always a few I'm not sure about, and it has taken another couple of years to make sure they don't make the grade. If I was more ruthless I could have saved myself a lot of space and trouble. Plants that aren't quite good enough at four years old are still not quite good enough at six. 9028680326_ed982e371a.jpg

Sarracenia 6, 120613 by John Jearrard, on Flickr In the end I kept about a quarter of them (and I think I have a few duds still among them). It's a difficult job. Those that have survived this far will be watched and anything that starts to be disappointing will be out. 9026449601_38c70efc1a.jpg

Sarracenia 11, 120613 by John Jearrard, on Flickr And a quick picture through the greenhouse - there are plenty still left if you're coming to the open day!

It is nicer to call it 'culling'. It doesn't feel as bad as MURDER! :moderator:

I find it a horrible job full of indecision. I just can't bring myself to do it until absolutely necessary. Luckily, once I have thrown something out, I soon forget I had it!

Are you able to describe what you look for, John, or is it just a personal thing? Do you wait until you have seen each one flower?

With our rubbish Summer this year and last, I am finding it harder...

Yes I have had a couple of plants that way, always nice to receive a bonus plant, I have two that are labelled bonus and I haven't a clue what they are but they are both pretty vigorous growers. I would happily pay a couple quid a plant and postage for ones like that, kind of a clearance range. I'm fairly sure others would as well as a bit of a punt to see if they worked in an outdoor bog garden.

• Like 2

I'd certainly take in cast offs if I was offered them, got a soft spot for outcasts and rejects :tongue:

Edited by 19Silverman93
  • Like 1

Two things I think:

1) Giving away freebies is fine if you already have the time to sell plants through the post but this takes a lot of time with the admin and packing. I have very little time and would rather spend it with my fingers in soil and looking at my plants than with working out postage costs. With the popularity and available of CPs now, prices are a lot lower than they used to be, taking inflation into account. Other than those really nice clones which brings me to the second point...

2) Perhaps it is vanity, but some of us feel selective about which clones we think worthy of cultivation.

Yes, I can understand people might think they would like them. I just don't think it's fair to offload my old rubbish onto others.

(I know, there will be howls of anguish...)

There are thousands of sarracenia hybrids around, if I let the rubbish ones go, sooner or later they will start to circulate and people will end up with second rate plants that were second rate right from the start. If people are going to get a plant, let it be a good one that is worth growing, not something that should really have been burnt at the outset.

There are new people coming into the hobby all the time, and it isn't really fair to offload the poor plants onto them just because they don't know any better, they will only get disheartened when they realise. Much better to use the space to propagate the good ones.

So they get burnt. Sometimes difficult, but I am fortunate, I have a short memory. Once they are gone I forget all about it and move on.

Do you do any sales at car boot sales John? I remember there used to be a guy called Ian that used to do Hayle car boot about 20 years ago. I don't remember his second name but he was also in West Cornwall Orchid Society with me. Anyone know who I'm talking about? I think his collection was on the westcountry news one time too.

You only got to look at what Ian and Dianne Salter did last year. It was handy money for them, if they made more than the postage (I can't remember). People love that sort of thing.

Firstly let me say I love all the plants and wish I had room to keep them all, culling them was never a nice thought so we set up the free plants for postage as a way of making desperately needed space for the plants that I love a little more.

The other reality is that the plants we sell by other means do make us vital money and the choice hybrids we are developing need priority to bring them on.

Packing free plants was a huge work load and nothing much in it apart from a feeling of goodwill/ great feedback and a little space and in all fairness a nice donation (the best part I think.

It is a horrible thought but some things may still have to be culled because if they go outside they often look terrible and then all I keep seeing is pots we need to use.

There was also the nagging feeling that the giveaway was impeding others sales on here and I'm sure that must have been the case.

I think if we do give plants away again they will be nice clones in excess to make room for the fantastic plants.

when you have so many plants something has to give, we have over 5000 plants ( more than when we started to give away plants) Any idea how many you have John??

Edited by Ian Salter

the "undesirables" could be "bundled " together & auctioned off at the AGM ! I Too have an affinity towards " cad-pigs"

they could be but then who would bid for example on one S. flava or a green washed out S. x moorei let alone a group of undesired plants?