10+ year bulbs from Peter Pauls?

Arvetis

There was a programme on National Geographic last year about VFT poachers. There was one specific 'cop' who's duty it was to patrol the pine savannahs in North Carolina and he kept arresting these two guys in particular. After about 4 warnings one got three months in prison I think but just went back to poaching straight away. I remember seeing the redneck on his fron porch with a few hundred flytraps, cutting them up for a herbal medicine supplier (possibly for use in a certain large Communist country whose name I won't mention).

The worst is to come, there was a recent massive poaching from the famous red tube site in the Apalachicola National Forest park, all but 6 red tubes were left, 4,000 plus taken..

Yes its true, but you get people selling p[lants like this from roadside pull ins in the USA. For me this is crime of the century having been there only 2 years ago..

I guess it's the usual story. They will be sold to people who've never kept CPs before, at a relatively low price, but still at a massive overall profit for the dealers. Most will end up dead.

It's like the caged bird trade: it's also tragic that these plants are so easy to grow and propagate legitimately, yet people still endanger the wild populations.

Guest Aidan

While we are on this subject, please don't buy the book 'Carnivorous Plants of the World' - Pietropaulo........the authors are the people this thread was started about.

Where there's money then there'll be folk looking to extract it in as easy way as possible! I would suspect some of the 'rednecks' think we've a fairly screwed up bunch of weirdos willing to pay a nice sum for some fairly uninteresting weeds from the bogs - it ain't much good as shootin' land...........

:shock:

But, don't knock them too much - The market is driven by both demand and supply so we're all partly to blame as well!! Even the best of us (no names) have been caught with our hands on dodgy stock - can the not so well informed really hope to be able to say that 100% of their CPs are from 'legal/non-plundered' stock??

:?