Asda Drosera

Trappist

Couldn't resist buying this from Asda (Shrewsbury) yesterday - made a nice change to the usual weekly provisions. They had Sarracenia and VFTs too. Can anyone ID this - no doubt it's something cheap and cheerful.

Cplant1.jpg

Cplant2.jpg

Cplant3.jpg

Nice to see a supermarket offering CPs - hope that it builds interest and they all find good homes!

Steve

Hi Fred - nope I paid £8.00 for it. Now I know you'll probably say it's dead common and should be cheap as chips - but I'm used to buying stuff over the internet - paying around £4 P&P for some small specimen to be trapped in the dark for a couple of days, so I didn't think it was too bad to pay that for the full potted plant. Having said that - it was an impulse purchase - I was just surprised to see it! The VFTs were four plants in a pot that could be split down and the Sarracenia looked like a Purpurea cross - first time I've seen CPs for sale in a mainstream supermarket like ASDA (although they do have some in Dobbies garden center, which I think is owned by Tesco).

Steve

Hmm... Actually, the name would be D. capensis cv 'Albino', if it has the white flowers. The name alba, is just Latin for white--it doesn't really mean anything if you can see the plant is white, it is sort of like saying pizzia pie--you're just saying pizzia pizzia or pie pie as the two words mean the samething. A lot of folks just tag any plant with some white feature as an "alba" variety or somesuch. Its better to actually give the special plant a name. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drosera_capensis