Sign in to follow this  
mattynatureboy44

Recommendations for a nice flowering Utricularia

Looking for a few recommendations and where to obtain some nice flowering Terrestrial Utricularia species which will happily grow inside on a windowsill year round.

Utricularia sandersonii is a star for flowering.

sandersonii, bisquamata and livida. Most likely folks here would be able to supply you with a starter of these species but you could also get them from a nursery such as Hewitt-Cooper, Hampshire Carnivores or South West Carnivores.

Edited by Richard Bunn

U. graminifolia, if you can keep the water levels high (prefers to be semi submerged):

SS851198.JPG

Lovely pics they all look very good candidates. Could you have a few different ones in one pot like a communal pot? or would that not really work and one species take over the pot.

I agree for utricularia calycifida, its my fav utri :) 8642651815_a53cb1e8bc_b.jpg

Utricularia nephrophylla. Almost constant flowering plant with delicate small white flowers.

U_nephrophylla.JPG

Edited by Deadly Weapon
  • Like 2

Utricularia nephrophylla. Almost constant flowering plant with delicate small white flowers.

Wow - I've never seen a nephro quite like that - very interesting! Here's mine for comparison:Unephroflowerfront022010RS.jpg

(apologies for thread hijack)

@mattynatureboy44: lots of good recommendations above. The most floriforous of the little weedy guys for me have been the normal or "white' U. sandersonii & U. livida - although U. pubescens is currently trying to challenge those two (also has cute peltate leaves):Upubescensflowers021213RS.jpg

Bottom line - pick a flower you like & grow it - unlike some plants that are almost a lifetime commitment, the small utrics are fun & rewarding quite quickly.

U. dichotoma is another easy and colourful one:

101_4001.jpg

My Alpina, growing in a SE facing window:

9526683412_a8fdd945ba.jpg

This is it's second year and it started out as about 4 leaves and a couple of bulbs. The flowers are about 2 inches across. I must have accidentally got conditions exactly right for it. Not so for it's Vanda neighbour...

• Like 1