Leafcuttings in water

Veek

• 3 weeks later...

iv tired this method with great success, took some leaf pullings around 4 weeks ago and put in a jam jar with ro water, all have produced small roots. how long do you guys wait until you pot them up?

Edited by cephmad!

I tried 2 batches of leaves in water. They seemed to go brown quite quickly so I took them out and put the surviving leaves in my normal sphagnum mix...

For me this water method doesn't work. The leaves stay longer than 2 months in rain, RO water etc without results. Most of them go brown and the rest still green don't shown any signs of roots...

I now also got some batches turning brown and without result. Perhaps it has something to do with the temperatures? With leafcuttings on substrate I tend to have more succes when it's a bit colder outside. So the end of the season I'll try again.

mine have started to go browning as well even with NAA added in the water, for faster root growth .

Carl mentioned back in the thread about hydroponically growing cuttings, gave me a idea.

the hydro guys use a grow plug call rock wool , its actually make from rock apparently , looks like insulation bats or wool bats you put in your roof. here in AU any how !!

So if you get a jar put the rock wool in the top you can poke a hole in the wool and put the cutting end into the water and have the leaf part in the open air

this should work I believe .will give it a go next few days and see, have a huge amount of ceph leaf to choose from so no troubles with getting cuttings , and spring is just around the corner here too .

Edited by snapperhead51
  • Like 1

Mine have mostly gone brown too, only 4 are still as-picked but no signs of roots. Will try again in the spring when the weather is much cooler.

Hi,

I took my pullings on the first of August. Now after about 3 Weeks the first leave started to root.

Root after only 3 Weeks

I'm sorry for the bad quality, but I hope you can see the short root.

The leaf is in a glass with deionised water and now all 5 leafs are still green.

Regards

Benedikt

Edited by Carnivourus Plants-fan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Thought I would give it a try as well. Just pulled off some leaves and put them in a glass jar with some rainwater. Any suggestions on temperature? Is it better to keep them cool? The smallest leaf is a hummers giant!

gallery_8448_725_353733.jpg

Richard

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have had sucess with both leaf pullngs and pitcher pullings in straight distilled water. would post some pics but im not to sure on how to go about that. I am going to try this method with a twist and will let you all know the results.

I am still hopeful with my cuttings after 1 month. The hummers giant leaf has turned brown and died but it was very small to begin with so not really surprised. The others are still healthy and have "bumps" at their tips which could be the start of roots. Another week or so should tell...

• 4 weeks later...

Almost 8 weeks but all 8 leaf cuttings (pullings) now with roots! The only casualty was the Hummers Giant leaf but it was from a plant bought from Hampshire CPs this year and was (is) very small. They have been in rainwater and a glass jar in a south facing room but out of direct sunlight and with average room temperatures probably between 18 and 23 deg C. All 8 leaves still look and feel very healthy. This is a photo of the roots. Any ideas when they should be potted up and what into?

cephaRoots

Edited by RickyM

This is what I did with one of my leaf cuttings: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51223

But, traditionally I pot them up into live Sphagnum moss until they produce leaves/pitchers, then I transfer them to a more traditional peat/sand/perlite mix.

Almost 8 weeks but all 8 leaf cuttings (pullings) now with roots! The only casualty was the Hummers Giant leaf but it was from a plant bought from Hampshire CPs this year and was (is) very small. They have been in rainwater and a glass jar in a south facing room but out of direct sunlight and with average room temperatures probably between 18 and 23 deg C. All 8 leaves still look and feel very healthy. This is a photo of the roots. Any ideas when they should be potted up and what into?

I got many to strike as well but the biggest difficulty I had was keeping them alive when potting them up. Lost a few that way. I think it is best to give the pot a high humidity since the leaves come out of an high humidity environment. So they need to adapt to the dryer air.

I hope this helps you a bit.

• 9 months later...

Thanks Marcus B,

Yes, worked well for me. I now have quite a few Cephs! Still waiting for my Hummers Giant to grow a bit to try it too. This plant seems to be the slowest growing of all my plants. Must be a year old now and doing very little.

Thanks Marcus B,

Yes, worked well for me. I now have quite a few Cephs! Still waiting for my Hummers Giant to grow a bit to try it too. This plant seems to be the slowest growing of all my plants. Must be a year old now and doing very little.

From what I have read, Hummers is normally slow growing.  Just one the common traits with the plant that I have that is supposedly from the same stock.   My Giant is more difficult to propagate for that reason.  Give it time and you will get there.

You seem to have some good succes with the leafcuttings in water.  It has been a while that I tried to to it since after potting up my plants always died.  Not one survived.  How did you pot them up?  Did you just wait until they got small roots like in the picture or did you let them grow a bit more?  When I potted mine they always had longer roots maybe that is the mistake I made.

In June 2013, member mattynatureboy sent me some leaf pullings to try. Matt sent me one each of typical, adrian slack, big boy, and hummer's giant. I followed Matt's example and placed the leaves in water and in a light shady spot (north facing windowsill) and after several months, tiny roots were appearing so i potted them up into  5cm pots of live sphagnum. Prior to rooting, the water would get quite green and funky, so all i did was change it about once a week. All four leaves struck, but sadly i lost the Hummer's during a pot drop accident.

Anyway, here are my pics of the ceph leaves taken this morning. Nothing fantastic to look at yet, but then again they have had a rough first year what with moving home and lots of disruption, and they even spent winter in a dark unheated conservatory (along with all my other boxes of stored belongings). They have been in the new greenhouse since about April or May this year, so hopefully they'll improve.

Typical.

typical_zps57b17591.jpg

Adrian Slack

adrianslack_zps4c578bce.jpg

Big Boy

bigboy_zpsc71d65fe.jpg

Ironically, typical is the largest and Big Boy is the smallest so far :laugh2:

You can still see the original leaf pullings (yellow/brown) in pics 1 and 3.

So yeah, the water trick worked for me, just ordinary tap water  (less than 50tds) changed about once a week or fortnight depending on funkyness.

• Like 1

Hi Veek,

I think I let the roots grow slightly longer than the earlier photo but the longest would still only have been maybe 10mm. I planted them in a single small unheated propagator with a clear plastic lid to keep the humidity up in shredded sphagnum. Since this was over the winter I gave them some artificial light from a LED lamp designed for photography. (72 LED approx.) Once they had a few leaves I potted them into individual pots with peat/pearlite/sphagnum mix, disturbing the roots as little as possible, and grew them in the greenhouse.

I did try again early spring with four leaves. One turned brown and died but the other three are now a similar size to the others which were planted this time last year! Suggests that it is probably better to take cuttings in spring when there are better natural conditions on the way rather than artificial. Gives us something to do over the winter though.

Really want to try with my Hummers Giant but it just refuses to grow.

Richard