Leafcuttings in water

Veek

A quick question about the method, are these leaf pullings or leaf cuttings? Are they removed from the rhizome or snipped anywhere?

I pull the leaves from as low down the plant as possible, with the intention of trying to break it off as near to the rhizome as possible. But, as mentioned earlier, I had one break off a little high and it still rooted.

I tend to find that the speed of which pulling develop is dependant on the actual size of the material, i.e. leaf or pitcher size, with the larger developing faster. This is only a personal observation though and I have not performed any actual controlled experiment. One of the issues with larger pullings though is they can be subject to excessive transpiration, but this shouldn't be an issue if using the water rooting method.

If anyone would like to sell me some of their rooted cuttings, please bare me in mind as i can't afford to buy a mature plant while i'm off work on long term sick :sad:

I did buy a small Ceph a few months ago from a reputable online cp store for £10, but it refused to grow and died a few weeks later.

When i received the plant, it had a slight dusty white appearance to it, but being a newbie back then, i didn't know what it was.

By the time the plant had died, i knew then what the cause was, but guessed it too late to complain to the seller. I did give it a treatment of Bayer's Fungus Fighter and placed it in front of a permanently open window in good light (after reading some suggestions on here) but it never pulled through. I wish this thread had started before i threw out my Ceph, as i could've tried this method from some of the few healthy looking leaves that remained and maybe salvaged something.

I would therefore love to get some Cephalotus in my collection please.

If anyone would like to sell me some of their rooted cuttings, please bare me in mind as i can't afford to buy a mature plant while i'm off work on long term sick :sad:

I have a few available from earlier in the year some 6 months + old and with a few small pitchers and leaves putting on new growth.

Mine have been a few days under a month in rainwater and although all the leaves are alive there are still no roots to see!

Maybe they need more light? as I have them in a very shaded area with no direct light or maybe it's the rainwater that's making them take longer? I may move a few in to more light, I would still be happy if they start to root within two more weeks.

Mine don't receive much light. They are behind a pot, which is under a grow light, so they just receive some indirect light. Whilst mine have rooted within a month, the roots are still tiny.

This thread inspired me to try some VFT Cuttings, just put em in de-ionized water.

IMG_0061_zps7e64195d.jpg

I'll update in a few weeks.

Edited by TCurrell

A quick question about the method, are these leaf pullings or leaf cuttings? Are they removed from the rhizome or snipped anywhere?

A leaf cutting is a horticultural term for a variety of propagation techniques involving leaves and does not always involve the act of "cutting", for example I always pull my Pelargonium and carnation cuttings from the mother plants, you get better rooting success. . Many leaf cuttings are actually pulled off plants. "Leaf pullings" is a made up term by someone who does not understand horticultural technical terms, and with such a poor grasp of the English language that they only understand an absolutely literal definition. A "leaf pulling" is actually a leaf cutting, and should be referred to as such.

Edited by gardenofeden
  • Like 3

Seems they work just as well in rainwater, as today I was changing the water for fresh rainwater and upon doing this I found roots on at least 6 plants including a very small dying pitcher and a leaf which broke short and had not much stem with it. The Hummers Giant leaves seem to be doing good all 4 that I took have taken root very well already.

So this has taken them around a month to root.

Some pics

9365499158_aaee7899a5.jpg

WP_20130725_004 by mattynatureboy44, on Flickr

9362718247_16d1f1bd4f.jpg

WP_20130725_003 by mattynatureboy44, on Flickr

9365495740_7e508c3d85.jpg

WP_20130725_002 by mattynatureboy44, on Flickr

Edited by mattynatureboy44

Back from vacation. Seems people have had some good experiences already with the waterleafcuttings.

From the boxes I left behind I got some rooted leaves. The pitchercuttings I took weren't a big succes. Only one of the 4 is still looking good but yet no roots.

The leaves of the VFT Wacky Trap are still nicely green but also no roots yet. I'll upload some pics later this week.

None of my pitcher cuttings (catesbaei) were successful either. But I suspect it may have been down to poor bagging on my part. Next time will put a stake in the pot prior to bagging to avoid collapse and wrecking pitchers. None of my Dionaea cuttings worked, buggered if I know why but it's annoyed me.

None of my pitcher cuttings (catesbaei) were successful either. But I suspect it may have been down to poor bagging on my part. Next time will put a stake in the pot prior to bagging to avoid collapse and wrecking pitchers. None of my Dionaea cuttings worked, buggered if I know why but it's annoyed me.

Do pitchercuttings from sarracenia work? I've never tried it but I don't know if it works or not.

You Dionaea cuttings all turned brown I suppose? As I said before the Wacky Trap are inside about 4 weeks and still are looking green only no rooting yet.

Do pitchercuttings from sarracenia work? I've never tried it but I don't know if it works or not.

You Dionaea cuttings all turned brown I suppose? As I said before the Wacky Trap are inside about 4 weeks and still are looking green only no rooting yet.

Barry Rice tried it and had some success with some species and none with a few others, it was a tiny experiment though. Purpurea works reasonably I believe. Get a pitcher and some of its heel from the rhizome and treat with hormone rooting powder, put in a pot of sphagnum and enclose in plastic bag. I'd recommend a stick or two in the pot to stop the bag flopping over and disturbing the cutting as that's what happened to mine.

Yes all my Dionaea ones went black. I don't know why though. Any suggestions. Sorry for going off topic.

Barry Rice tried it and had some success with some species and none with a few others, it was a tiny experiment though. Purpurea works reasonably I believe. Get a pitcher and some of its heel from the rhizome and treat with hormone rooting powder, put in a pot of sphagnum and enclose in plastic bag. I'd recommend a stick or two in the pot to stop the bag flopping over and disturbing the cutting as that's what happened to mine.

Yes all my Dionaea ones went black. I don't know why though. Any suggestions. Sorry for going off topic.

Nice to know it works the sarracenia-cuttings.

What water are you using? Closed box or an open one? What kind of light?

Nice to know it works the sarracenia-cuttings.

What water are you using? Closed box or an open one? What kind of light?

Is this aimed at me re my Dionaea leaf cuttings (which weren't done in water) or to the main thread about the Ceph ones?

Is this aimed at me re my Dionaea leaf cuttings (which weren't done in water) or to the main thread about the Ceph ones?

Yes it was since I thought you were taking them in the water.

My first Cephalotus cuttings took 6 months to produce new leafs. Today I put 5 leafs in a glass of demineralised water und hope it produce fast roots. I will tell you, if I have success.

Regards

Benedikt

Keep us posted. Probably in about 4 weeks you should see some root growth.