Which one?

Marcia

We've got plenty of S. purpurea spare here if you want some. Plenty of smaller ones available as well as quite a few of flowering size (just starting to put up flower buds now as it happens).

pm me if you want some, I can send photos as well.

Cheers,

Mark

Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea is the only one which will really do well for you outside.

Isn't Britain in a warmer hardiness zone than Denmark? Both Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa and flava var. flava have done well for me for years outside.

Isn't Britain in a warmer hardiness zone than Denmark? Both Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa and flava var. flava have done well for me for years outside.

Our winters vary greatly. Some years like a couple of years ago was below freezing. This last winter was a lot milder but it dragged on for longer.

Ahh in that case, If you dont need specimin plants but just plants that grow and look reasonable (not to say unusual) outside then start with those as they are the hardier specimins, but dont let that cramp your style, alats, leucos, rubra, psitts all grow outside for me, obviously not as fast and as colourfull as greenhouse plants and the show only really gets really good late in the year but if you just want the enjoyment of growing (as I do) then try what you fancy.

I have found that there are various clones that are better than others overwintering and growing outside and some clones seem to take a couple or more years (or more) to get acclimatised to being outside before they grow to their best, but it is worth the wait.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Marcia, i too was going to mention Ian Salter, he lives just up the road from me in the lower Neath valleys, and he's the reason i accidentally got into CP's 3 months ago !

Check out my grow list and you'll be able to see a few of his selection that i had from him, and both him and Dianne are very nice friendly folk who will no doubt be able to offer you lots of suggestions and advice with what you require :smile:

I would also recommend S. leucophylla and its various cultivars. They're just very pretty. Also, S. 'Wriggleyanna'. Plants with these pitchers:

Picture001-38.jpg

024.jpg

023.jpg

Picture006-22.jpg

Picture007-5.jpg

I would also recommend S. leucophylla and its various cultivars. They're just very pretty. Also, S. 'Wriggleyanna'. Plants with these pitchers:

Picture001-38.jpg

024.jpg

023.jpg

Picture006-22.jpg

Picture007-5.jpg

Picture001-38.jpg

024.jpg

023.jpg

Picture006-22.jpg

Picture007-5.jpg

What a stunning plant :)

I've managed to get my hands on a sarracenia Catesbaei and I've got a Flava and leucophylla coming to me :)

Plus I was a bit naughty and ordered myself another D.Capensis lol

I've managed to get my hands on a sarracenia Catesbaei and I've got a Flava and leucophylla coming to me :)
Will you be growing your leucophylla outside? If so, I suspect you will need to protect it during winter. In my experience, it is hardier than psittacina, but not quite as hardy as flava. Of course, there is much much variation in the species, and certain plants may be hardier than others. :)