My portuguese dewy pine

I am pleased to communicate to friends of this community that could germinate one of three seeds to i sowed Drosophyllum lusitanicum sixteen days ago:

100_7645640x161_zps92d0d953.jpg

Now my challenge is to bring the plant until adulthood and make it bloom and with the twisted tale of you since i am very excited at growing this carnivorous plant :biggrin: .

Best regards,

Rodrigo

Edited by Rodrigo

Congratulations!

I have 6 plants myself and they are all in bloom right now. It is a very unique and fun plant, certainly my fave. I hope things go well for you. There are experts on this forum like Jan Visee, I recommend his cultivation guide to you if you need any help.

Thank you friends for the encouragement you are giving me, i am really elated with the germination of this plant. The only thing that worried me is the fact of not having sown the seeds in a pot definitive as usual, but the link that Martin provided for the following information:

Do not after germinating move the plants. They are very susceptible to shock. When the plants are bigger than the 6 leaved stage they can be moved around.

Based on this i intend to let the plant grow a little more, for only then move her vase.

Best regards,

Rodrigo

Hi Rodrigo, nice little seedling you have there.

Based on the growing guide on the ICPS I sowed 5 seeds in small peat pots at the end of February. 4 of them germinated a month later, the 5th never germinated but went mouldy, it was the only 1 I'd scarified (scratched) as I'd read somewhere this might help. (Conclusion: no need to scarify). Of the 4 which germinated 1 never developed and eventually went in the bin.

The ICPS guide advises, once the seedling reaches 5cm, plant the whole peat pot in the final pot. So, yesterday my 3 remaining seedlings had reached about 6cm so I had a look underneath and found all 3 already had a root poking out through the bottom of the peat pot. I potted them into their final pots (19cm diameter) but managed to break the protruding roots on at least 2 of them in the process, I'm hoping the 3rd is OK and that I haven't done too much damage. Time will tell. Next time I'll check underneath the pots more often and do the final potting earlier.

I hope this helps and that next time you can show us a nice mature plant. Good luck.

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you for your comments, there is nothing like being able to count on the crowd of friends. Now, just to give them a satisfaction about the progress of my little Droso, i leave here two photos of the same:

Photo 1 - Drosophyllum lusitanicum

P6190027640x495_zps30d946da.jpg

As you can see, it settled into a ceramic pot (terracotta) with the substrate base Sphagnum [/ i] chopped (very little), river gravel, sand and vermiculite.

Photo 2 - Close of Plant

P6190028640x480_zps44032c7b.jpg

Notice that it appears with 4 traps (one still unfolding) and in the center you can see the arrival of the fifth leaf carnivorous. Apparently this PC will bring me joy :biggrin: .

Note: The other two seeds did not germinate are there in the vessel, as I believe they still must give the air of grace here :woot: .

Best regards,

Rodrigo

Rodrigo are you keeping it too dry ? You should keep it wet at this stage. Its leaves should be erect and point to the sky.

These are mine from last year

droso001.jpg

And yes this is the link I read, thank you Linuxman. It was very helpful for me.

I think they're given in this thread. Never had any luck with Drosophyllum lusitanicum myself, I hope you fare better!

Edited by maxxima

Maxxima, i have already provided better humidity conditions for my little "Droso" and even with its pitfalls already directed upward, so you can rest assured. In any case i am grateful for the concern about my CP :Laie_97: .

Best regards,

Rodrigo

• 3 weeks later...

Hi friends of CPUK, everything OK? The thing is, there was a little accident with the pot where my Drosophyllum was planted, it crashed while I was moving him to a place with a higher incidence of sunlight.

I just replanted the "Droso" in a plastic pot, but i think that it would languish until death, which ended up not happening because it's been two weeks since the accident and he insists on staying alive, although one of one of his traps (the newest in the center) have rotted.

To have a better idea what I mean, here is a picture of how the plant is currently:

P7150019640x421_zpsd32a40c6.jpg?t=1373900408

Will he recover, or may already give it as lost?

Best regards,

Rodrigo

• 1 month later...

Friends, after almost two months after the accident that killed my droso, here is the same as:

Photo 1 - Drosophyllum lusitanicum

P9050063640x480_zpse5bf6438.jpg?t=1378403297

Apparently even this languishing, but deem one repaired in the center of the plant which will see something developing there. But, i can not see anything? Calm down people, below is a zoomed photo:

Photo 2 - Close of Plant

P9050064640x480_zpsf898c970.jpg

As you can see the plant despised the damaged part and generated a lateral bud that is preparing to develop their traps :biggrin: . I knew my droso would not leave me and honestly predict that it still bring me many joys :lol: .

Best regards,

Rodrigo

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a recent photo of my little Droso:

P9210060640x398_zps8d989633.jpg

Notice that the number of traps is developing large sign that this plant this eager to "tasting" something, if i understand :biggrin: .

Best regards,

Rodrigo F. Costa

• 3 weeks later...