Nep Identification

VFTLance <3

Hi guys,

Haven't posted in a long time i know but i am still here reading all the posts =)

I wondered if anyone could give me some help, i bought this Nep today from Shenstone garden centre, it was labelled as an Alata, which it clearly isn't, it has multiple plants in the pot also, and last time i tried to seperate a Nep i ended up killing the smaller one, can anyone also give me any advice on the best way of dividing it please?

Here are some pics of it, any help on ID and Division would be greatly appreciated =)

DSCF4400_zpsb293850c.jpg

DSCF4394_zpsd9cb5e8f.jpg

DSCF4399_zpsd6d8ee96.jpg

Sorry the pics are so big, not sure how to make them smaller =P

Sarah

you found that monster in a garden centre?Wish my local one would stock some of those, rather than the usual sickly looking VFT's and sarra hybrids

you found that monster in a garden centre?Wish my local one would stock some of those, rather than the usual sickly looking VFT's and sarra hybrids

Yep i know, ive been to this one a few times, they usually have some nice plants but ive never seen a Nep like this there before and i couldn't just leave it there =P

It may have multiple growth points but not necessarily multiple plants. If you unpot it, remove the compost and have a look and see if each shoot has its own roots. If they do then you can gently pull apart and repot.

Ah oki, thank you, i will probably leave it a few weeks then have a look, so is it most likely an N. X hookeriana. like Marlon suggested?

Edited by VFTLance <3

Yep i know, ive been to this one a few times, they usually have some nice plants but ive never seen a Nep like this there before and i couldn't just leave it there =P

nope, it wouldn't have had a cats chance in hell if you hadn't have picked it up that's for sure. best thing I've ever seen is a pair of battered looking N x Ventrata which I promptly bought and now have living happily in my room. it breaks my heart to see how these plants are treated in garden centres :sad:

nope, it wouldn't have had a cats chance in hell if you hadn't have picked it up that's for sure. best thing I've ever seen is a pair of battered looking N x Ventrata which I promptly bought and now have living happily in my room. it breaks my heart to see how these plants are treated in garden centres :sad:

Likewise, i rescued a N x Ventrata from my local garden centre in Tamworth, it was in the trolley of plants to be thrown out, it hadn't got any pitchers and all the leaves were growing straight up so it obviously hadn't had any sunlight, i got it for £1.99 and now it lives on my living room window sill looking beautiful and healthy, i've had it almost a year and it pitchers wonderfully for me =D

Likewise, i rescued a N x Ventrata from my local garden centre in Tamworth, it was in the trolley of plants to be thrown out, it hadn't got any pitchers and all the leaves were growing straight up so it obviously hadn't had any sunlight, i got it for £1.99 and now it lives on my living room window sill looking beautiful and healthy, i've had it almost a year and it pitchers wonderfully for me =D

I suspect that's a story quite a lot of us can relate to and say "yep, I've done that" I'm assuming that it's the same plant we can see in the background of your picture above? I've had mine for about 3/4 months now, and while the bigger of the pair I nabbed took a while to settle in it's now growing as strongly as my N. x Rebecca Soper. I always find it very gratifying looking at those plants and thinking that they'd probably be dead if I'd left them.

I suspect that's a story quite a lot of us can relate to and say "yep, I've done that" I'm assuming that it's the same plant we can see in the background of your picture above? I've had mine for about 3/4 months now, and while the bigger of the pair I nabbed took a while to settle in it's now growing as strongly as my N. x Rebecca Soper. I always find it very gratifying looking at those plants and thinking that they'd probably be dead if I'd left them.

Yeah thats the one =) Awesome, i hate that waiting part at the beginning, thinking i hope it doesn't die, then its always really rewarding once they start pitchering =D Me too, i will always rescue at least one plant if i have the money, luckily ive just finished uni for the year so have plenty for rescuing =P I just need to decide where to put my new one, cause if it is what Marlon suggested its going to need a bit of extra care cause if im right thats a lowland species? unless ive gotten mixed up, it will most likely have to live outside in my greenhouse =)

Yeah thats the one =) Awesome, i hate that waiting part at the beginning, thinking i hope it doesn't die, then its always really rewarding once they start pitchering =D Me too, i will always rescue at least one plant if i have the money, luckily ive just finished uni for the year so have plenty for rescuing =P I just need to decide where to put my new one, cause if it is what Marlon suggested its going to need a bit of extra care cause if im right thats a lowland species? unless ive gotten mixed up, it will most likely have to live outside in my greenhouse =)

Cool, it's definitely looking big and healthy there! It was touch and go for a bit but I felt king of the world when I got my first pitcher. I've ended up with a new sarra hybrid the past couple of times I went out. if it is a hookeriana which looks likely I think you might get away with intermediate conditions but don't take my word for that, I'd wait for a more experienced grower to chime in.