Pinguicula Wall, now also at California Carnivores!

??? Are there really different forms of D. adelae? For several years, I collected different looking plants, but they all turning into the same thing after being in the same conditions for two years. I.e. they were all just ecophenes from differences in cultivation. Even the flower colors became the same.

Edited by Dave Evans

D.Adelae 2 types grown together

They are two types from here, growing together in that tank for a few months now (the red was originally in more sun), it has reverted abit with colour but I find that even after an entire year of being shade grown the red adelae (normally from falls or forest clearings) keep the reddish dew, whereas the Giant green (found in forests and on creek banks) never turn red, even after being in sunny conditions they just burn, but some other green varient from of adelae will go red if introduced gradually.
I have also seen red, pink and cream flowers in the wild, the cream flowers are rare and I beleive are a hypo/hyper melanistic issue as they can be amongst other red flowers, but the pink and red seem to corespond with populations and are rarly found together in the wild, both red and green plants can have red or pink flowers, but cream are more common in forest plants (to my findings).

Those two are just a couple of the many Adelae, Most of my plants are from seed I collected, and a handful are purchased, D.Adelae are a prolific species for their small range with populations in excess of 1000 plants reguarly being found, the largest colony I have ever found was on a mountian at the back of dads and has easily got more than 3000 plants.

There are four main types here in the southern end of their range, the giant red and giant green (the ones in the pic) and the small red and green that only get to about 20-25cm, 25 being a monster for them.

In the northern end there is also a yellow variety, but it reverts to green in cultivation.

Yet another fascinating reason for me to find a way to move out to Australia through my work someday. :D

I will look through your posts, Adelae, I am curious if you have any great pics of the areas you are describing out there. Thanks for sharing!

That is very cool Adelae. I'm glad there is more variation than what I've seen. Since you're starting them from seed and from different locations I think it is quite an advantage living in AU :smile: