Sign in to follow this  
FredG

Cypripedium plectrochilum

Cypripedium plectrochilum

This little beauty is out again. It gets better every year :D

8710658012_04a07bfb1b_b.jpg

8710658266_d13dfec29a_b.jpg

I've always wanted to try Cypripedium but each year ended up spending my money on more Sarracenia. One day perhaps. Are they very easy to grow?

Edited by Richard Bunn

what a beauty, i have bought a cypripedium hybdrid for my garden last week, i cant wait to see the flowers

I've always wanted to try Cypripedium but each year ended up spending my money on more Sarracenia. One day perhaps. Are they very easy to grow?

Not as easy as Sarracenia, the medium is the main thing to get right

If you want easy go for some Disa, very colourful and they flower at a time you're in the greenhouses.Of course they're better kept frost free where as Cypripedium are hardy.

I grew a D. uniflora about 20 years ago when I used to grow a couple of hundred of orchids. Back then you could only really get that one species. There are some gorgeous colours around these days. I had Louis Vogelpoel's book on them but didn't grow them in the peculiar grit mix that he did. I had it flower and seed but it didn't make it through the winter. I believe there is a lot more knowledge around on how to grow them these days so it's easier. Am I right in thinking they can be watered in the 'tray method'? Not sure on the potting mix though.

That is just beautiful. I love the elongated pouch.

Can the Disa be grown in the sun and in the dept of water with the Sarras? I've always kept mine on the bench below but they are at risk a lot of the time as I let my pet rodents run around in the greenhouse and they like to chew things that are green. Despite that, I'm getting a flower on the x kewensis.

My Cypripediums haven't done massively well this year, with only 1 flower whereas there were 6 last year!

I grow my Disa in the lagoons alongside the Sarracenia. Cypripedium should be kept cool, the north side outside of the greenhouse is recommended. I have mine under the staging.

Well I did say that the plant gets better every year. This year there are nine flowers.

13889063172_3b299e1c0e_o.jpg

It appears to like me.

A slightly better picture of all the flowers without the busy background.

13902430286_b45e0bffd4_o.jpg