D. regia advice

linuxman

I've kept my regia on the windowsill over winter and put it out in the greenhouse a few weeks ago. Currently I have it under the bench where it only receives direct sunlight in the morning. Would it benefit from more sunlight?

This image is from today:

gallery_5421_391_484082.jpg

Thanks,

Wow, i've just realised i want a Regia ! Can anyone help me out ?

hantsflytrap.com have them for about a tenner, that's where I got mine. though given it's a round six quid for the postage you may as well order a few other things at the same time, make it worthwhile. they do have a pretty fantastic selection of stuff.

Edited by 19Silverman93

Nigel has them for £8 at the minute and if you order your plants bare root he's currently doing free postage. It does require quite different growing conditions to other Drosera. There's a dedicated care page for regia on the ICPS site here http://www.carnivorousplants.org/howto/GrowingGuides/D_regia.php. Best of luck.

hantsflytrap.com have them for about a tenner, that's where I got mine. though given it's a round six quid for the postage you may as well order a few other things at the same time, make it worthwhile. they do have a pretty fantastic selection of stuff.

Nigel has them for £8 at the minute and if you order your plants bare root he's currently doing free postage. It does require quite different growing conditions to other Drosera. There's a dedicated care page for regia on the ICPS site here http://www.carnivoro...es/D_regia.php. Best of luck.

Thanks for the info guys, i'll check it out when i've next got a bit of spare cash :)

[Edit : Is Nigel the chap at Hampshire CP's ? I see no reference to £8 bare root free p&p]

Edited by Welshy

Sorry I forgot to give you Nigel's details. http://hccarnivorousplants.co.uk It's Hewitt-Cooper. In Somerset. The bare root free postage is in the checkout under the delivery options. I bought a couple of plants of him a few days ago. Might even treat me to a regia too.

It does require quite different growing conditions to other Drosera. There's a dedicated care page for regia on the ICPS site here http://www.carnivoro...es/D_regia.php. Best of luck.

. I bought a couple of plants of him a few days ago. Might even treat me to a regia too.

Richard, I assume from your last comment that you have no practical experience of growing Drosera regia. Am I correct?

• Like 1

a big difference Fred is that they love to be fertilized,apart from that they seem to love growing alongside my south african dews,i have grown them only for about six months,half strength orchid fert is my weapon of choice(to the roots)

yours i bet get lots of food naturally and mine would of had almost zero,i had two plants one arrived with four inch leaves and one with half inch leaves,i started the fert on the smaller plant and it now has five inch leaves and almost overtook the bigger plant until i caved in and started fertilizing both,i will not use fert on the plant i put outside as it will catch plenty of food

any pets going missing locally :sarcastic_hand: all i can say is in my very limited experience the fert seems to of been obviously beneficial ,but your methods have worked long term for you,do they flower for you fred

Edited by corky

Yes Corky, every year :D

Edit:- Perhaps I should also mention that they sit in water (ie ice in winter) and the roots get hot in summer.

Edited by FredG
  • Like 1

Richard, I assume from your last comment that you have no practical experience of growing Drosera regia. Am I correct?

Hi Fred.

No I've never grown it before. I've been wanting it for a while but it seems to have become more widely available recently. I've done all my reading on it and the ICPS article seems to be very informative.

I've done all my reading on it and the ICPS article seems to be very informative.

Yes Richard, that article does appear to be very informative. The problem is I don't recognise the D. regia he is talking about. The D. regia I grow are as tough as old boots.

Perhaps that's the case. I suppose it could be an interesting experiment to see how well the plants respond to a few Osmocote balls in the mix. Seeing as it obviously doesn't harm his plants then it would be good to see if they benefit from it enough to warrant it.

Yes I keep mine frost free. The only way to really test if fertilising makes a difference is to have a number of plants, fertilise some and not the rest so you have a control.

They grow really fast so I don't understand why anyone would want to fertilise. I struggle to keep up with repotting mine.

Stephen, I have one of your plants, it's doing great! I'd like to ask, do you let it constantly stand in water?