Ban on Trading?

Daniel G

Just saw this, mum though a might be interested.

http://www.landscapejuicenetwork.com/forum/topics/eu-propose-to-ban-seed-swapping?xg_source=activity

Not really sure if it will effect the CP growers or not. Does anyone else have any knowledge of this?

Who would check every envelope and package in or out of Britian?The Australians do it,but we are talking Britian here,they let murders and child molesters in and let them stay!

need i say more!

ada

...........but we are talking Britian here,they let murders and child molesters in and let them stay!

need i say more!

Yeah but we're talking about getting caught with a small bag of seeds..............they'll lock you up and throw away the key !!!

I really don't like this. More and more draconian international regulations are developping concerning biological items (several of which having nothing to do with the protection of our natural heritage) and I think that this could really affect hobbyist horticulturists. And this could only be the first step...

Phantom, you get my point exactly.No common sense is applied at all by anyone in power,just knee jerk reactions.

When will this country get a leader with some balls and even better drag it back to being highly though of instead of laughed at and abused.

ada

Just keep quiet and ignore it. Not that I would ever advocate that anyone break the law, but as has been suggested, who is going to check every parcel going in and out of the UK?

Cheers

Alex.

If it is like USA, they won't check every envelope or package & lots of stuff slips by. However, they do check 'some' and they catch 'some'. Sometimes they'll just destroy your goodies and send you a note that it was destroyed. Sometimes, they'll throw the book at you (probably to make an example).

Thankfully, for seeds, we have a free, relatively easy way to bring in small amounts (it's bureaucratic but once you get used to it, it's no big deal). I was also concerned that the required inspections would take a long time - so far - not a problem. I've never had one take longer than a day.

For plants - at least the non-endangered stuff - it's also free & fairly easy (I'm referring to gov't stuff - not phyto & shipping costs). For endangered stuff, they want some money ... but still not horribly bad ... (imo)

Edited by RL7836

If i read this correctly it doesnt apply to amateur growers swapping seed...

Article 2

Scope

This Regulation shall not apply to plant reproductive material:

(a) intended solely for testing or scientific purposes;

(b) intended solely for selection purposes; or

© intended solely for, and maintained in, gene banks and networks of conservation of genetic resources associated with gene banks;

(d) exchanged in kind between persons other than operators.

I think that this is a very serious issue and that we have to keep an eye on it. Probably the new regulation will not affect CP-lovers. However this is one more manifestation of the will of the autorities to control and regulate everything, especially as concerns private persons. This could be the first step of a dangerous process, which could badly affect us. I would not be surprised if more stringent and freedom-destroying laws concerning the trade of plants (and even plant possession) would be enacted within the next 10 or 20 years or even sooner.

• Like 1

I really don't like this. More and more draconian international regulations are developping concerning biological items (several of which having nothing to do with the protection of our natural heritage) and I think that this could really affect hobbyist horticulturists. And this could only be the first step...

I totally agree.

I hope the admins don't mind me posting this, but it's a petition to stop this madness > http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/We_Will_Not_Comply/?cabWRab

Please consider signing it, whether you think it will involve CP seeds or not.

• Like 1

I think the main problem is no-one trusts the EU etc. These huge institutions that have been cobbled together without asking us if we want them.

I wonder if the Greeks and Cypriots would be happy if they knew that the austerity program imposed upon them by the IMF and the rest of the Euro Zone has been based a 2010 economic study which is looking to be a bit dodgy. Seems the two professors involved shot the arrow then painted the target around it.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013/04/18/student_finds_glaring_spreadsheet_errors_in_study_used_to_justify_budget_slashing.html

:D

But we trust them implicitly, dont we.

I think that this is a very serious issue and that we have to keep an eye on it. Probably the new regulation will not affect CP-lovers. However this is one more manifestation of the will of the autorities to control and regulate everything, especially as concerns private persons. This could be the first step of a dangerous process, which could badly affect us. I would not be surprised if more stringent and freedom-destroying laws concerning the trade of plants (and even plant possession) would be enacted within the next 10 or 20 years or even sooner.

I believe it's all part of the bigger plan isn't it ? What some of us call the impending New World Order.

Edited by Welshy

I think the main problem is no-one trusts the EU etc. These huge institutions that have been cobbled together without asking us if we want them.

I wonder if the Greeks and Cypriots would be happy if they knew that the austerity program imposed upon them by the IMF and the rest of the Euro Zone has been based a 2010 economic study which is looking to be a bit dodgy. Seems the two professors involved shot the arrow then painted the target around it.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013/04/18/student_finds_glaring_spreadsheet_errors_in_study_used_to_justify_budget_slashing.html

:D

But we trust them implicitly, dont we.

So its just good old fashioned paranoia then.

Wasnt the problem with greece and cyprus that they were both bankrupt? The economic study was about how much debt is good for growth, surely not about what to do when you can no longer pay your debts?

Or you stop overspending and start collecting taxes, which wasnt happening in greece. Cyprus was a failed banking system. Neither has much to do with aiming for higher growth and a lot to do with keeping your house in order.

Edited by manders