New Nepenthes exhibit at Kew Gardens

Wiser

Hello everyone,

This may be common knowledge to UK members, but Kew Gardens have now dedicated an area in the Princess of Wales Conservatory to Nepenthes. This must have opened in the last couple of months and none of the plants look established yet. It is a curious mix of lowland and highland species, but should be well worth a visit in due course, especially if the huge bicalcarata (see picture) decides it likes its new home. I go to Kew on a regular basis, so I will keep you posted.

24042013362.jpg

24042013363.jpg

bicalcarata:

24042013364.jpg

Wiser

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmm my previous statement is a bit dramatic, sorry about that. I was just disappointed. The soil was indeed quite dry, I don't know why they keep them like that. However, it was a joy to see such big truncatas.

Other parts of the gardens were awesome though, especially the water lillies.

dcw5.jpg

I don't remember what this one is...Someone recognize it ? There were two other truncatas already so I think this is either a hybrid or something else.

i588.jpg

This truncata was lovely. It's bigger than what it looks like in the photo, there's a part of it behind that tree.

2up8.jpg

This one had an active pitcher somewhere under there.

1cpe.jpg

This Veitchii looked miserable.

rhuc.jpg

Historically there has always been an issue between those who grow the plants in the nursery and those who look after them in the public houses. Very different levels of experience and people who think they know how to grow tropical plants who don't necessarily listen to the experts who do know...

• Like 2

I went to see this at the start of May and I have to agree with Maxxima: it was awful. Too hot and too dry. They are tucked away in a little glass room on their own when they'd be much happier out in the main space with the other plants getting sprayed every 10 minutes.

I did get to see the Jade vine flowering though, and the temperate house before it closes for 8 years or something.

9159899647_2f47dd1013_z.jpg