My open terrarium - nepenthes are not pitchering

Hi,

I've got this open terrarium at home and even if a lot of light is there, nepenthes are not pitchering. Is the problem in low humidity? This terrarium is situated directly to south, so the plants are illuminated by sun most of day. Actually even my other houseplants are not growing so well.... I think, that there a very low humidity is. What is your advice? Should I cover it by glass?

Thanks a lot.

Terrarium overview

A little more information would be helpful.

Which species do you grow in there?

How long have they been growing in the terrarium?

What media do you grow them in?

If they are highland species and been in there for a while I would rather place my bet on poor light levels because of the winter then low humidity.

If you cover the top in a south facing window you would probably cook your plants when summer arrives.

Buy and hygrometer and check the RH. Above 60% -> OK :)

I would bet on low light levels. They don't need light as bright as what VFTs and Sarrs need, but then do need bright light. I have four neps that were in a windowsill for months and they did not pitcher. I've had them under 400W HPS lamps since the end of February and they are now all pitchering.

Hi guys.

Thanks for all comments. I give you some more information.

Nepenthes what I´ve got are mostly lowlander or hybrids between lowlanders and highlanders. Especially N. truncata, N. truncata x ventricosa, N. maxima, N. izumiae x truncata. I also grow other non-carnivorous plants with these nepenthes like bromelias, vanila, ferns, orchids, etc.

I had these plants on windowsill year ago and plants were growing good without any terrarium during the summer. But it was in a flat my parents and my parents live in a house - perhaps higher humidity is there.

I´ve got these plants in the terrarium in my new flat more than one year. Now plants look like still good but dont want make any pitcher....

By the way I use common subtrate for nepenthes like perlit, peat, bark, coul and moss - that´s ok i think.

I´m very afraid of warm during the summer and that´s the reason why I´ve not used any covering yet. Possibly I´ll use only a partly covering and I´ll see.

Edited by Operr

I have the same setup, southeastern window but I don't even have an open terrarium. All my plants are windowsill grown.

You don't need humidity, but it always helps. You don't have to cover them with glass, they are just adapting, they will pitcher. Remember it may take a few months though depending on how hardy they are.

edit: Humidity is overrated sometimes. Some of my plants like Albomarginata and Veitchii pitcher on top of the central heating (%10-20 humidity)

Edited by maxxima

Hi,

I think the air conditions in the flat are very important. For example if you live in a very dry flat like me, it should be by low humidity (even my house-plants are not growing perfectly - for example monstera, ficus and some orchids...). Water is also different in this flat, more minerals are in it, but it is not problem for nepenthes i guess?

Honestly I think that´s a combination of more factors. Yes adapting of plants can play a role as well. I´ll partly cover my terrarium by glass, possibly buy more house-plants to my flat for increase humidity and wait until the middle of summer at least. I dont know now what else should i do...

Thank you. :)

You have a monstera, too? Awesome, I have one as well. It's growing great for me, too fast actually, I had to cut it this year or it would reach the ceiling. My flat is dry too but you must be right about different factors because monstera and ficus normally are very hardy as you know.

By the way I am using drinking water for my neps, mineral content is 56 mikrosiemens. Tap water is too hard here.

I can recommend some low humidity plants. These plants keep growing and pitchering all year - veitchii (lowland from wistuba), maxima x TM, truncata x ventricosa, truncata x veitchii and albomarginata. All my other plants even maxima and miranda stop pitchering in winter but these ones continue.

I was never successful with truncata (pasian), it is very slow in low humidity. I also have to tell you some of my plants took a very long time to adapt. Truncata x Veitchii took about 6-8 months ! But it never stops now.

Anyway I hope things improve for you. Your plants really look very healthy and beautiful.

Hi,

yes I´ve got one monstera and mine´s not growing very fast i think. There´s approximately one leaf per 6 months and that´s not the best i think. My ficus has got the same height for last two years and dont want to grow. (Ficus in my parents house grows very fast contrary to this). I have to buy a reverse osmosis or something like this for better water as well.

Thank you for your recommendation of plants, I´ll try to find some. I´ll try to find again for example N. mixta, or N. ventrata. They are the most tough plants what i had.

Edited by Operr