Few more images

Hi All,

Went round for a five minute tour with the camera the other day.

Firstly, I've finally uncovered my Fynbos Bed. I cover it with a cheapo poly tunnel and heat it to above freezing . However this time the pilot light kept blowing out and it had minus 4. One of the Protea's are pretty badly damaged, but will hopefully be okay.

piccies001.jpg

I did find Protea longifolia flowering though.

piccies002.jpg

I also had this one flower last June

26612092.jpg

Restios

piccies004.jpg

Drosera hilaris & glabripes

piccies005.jpg

D. ramantacea

piccies007.jpg

Winter growing South Africans, some dying back now

piccies008.jpg

D. regias in the sun

piccies010.jpg

Close up, they look great in the spring.

piccies013.jpg

D. afra

piccies018.jpg

Few tubers, D. menziesii subsp basifolia flowering

piccies017.jpg

Not much movement in the nursery yet.

piccies019.jpg

S. alata flowers, a favourite. These were supposed to be at the Cardiff flower show now, but I didn't have enough ready so had to pull out.

piccies021.jpg

S.x 'Joyce Cooper'

piccies027.jpg

Another shot of the nursery

piccies029.jpg

Hope you like them

Nigel HC

• Like 1

Guest Andreas Eils

:shock: Oh my God, do I see it correctly? Proteas flower in a garden in UK????!!!! I love these blooms so much! :wub: But I´m afraid I cannot grow them myself! :(

Amazing, Nigel!

And not to forget the outstanding South African sundews! *drool*

Best regards

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Although they're outside, they are protected in winter and kept above freezing. I'm going to try a Roridula dentata and a couple of Drosera species out there at some time, of course the Roridula is a fynbos genus anyway.

Here are a couple more Proteas from last year:

P. neriifolia, this is the one that had been badly damaged this winter and is now looking very sad.

5212128.jpg

And P. obtusifolia, another one that has sustained some damage but I'm hoping they'll be okay.

4712001.jpg

Nigel HC

Thank you all for your kind comments.

The D. Regias are among my favourites. The large plant at the back is in a 30 litre pot, has about 7 well spaced crowns (almost hanging over the side of the pot now) and is about 20 years old. I occasionally display it, and may take it or a few of the others to Malvern spring garden show next month if anyone's going?

Nigel HC

Thank you all for your kind comments.

The D. Regias are among my favourites. The large plant at the back is in a 30 litre pot, has about 7 well spaced crowns (almost hanging over the side of the pot now) and is about 20 years old. I occasionally display it, and may take it or a few of the others to Malvern spring garden show next month if anyone's going?

Nigel HC

I was just telling Dianne how much I enjoyed Malvern Spring some years back and now you have brought it to mind we are planning on coming up on the Saturday, we don't get about as much as we should and it will be a nice treat.

We may even spot you a break as I remember last time you were on your tod.

See you then if all goes well, great looking plants btw.

Guest Andreas Eils

Hi :hi: ,

the Protea neriifolia is also quite stunning! Until recently I believed it would be impossible to grow these Proteae in our climate. To my very surprise an old CP fellow in Ingolstadt revealed me he would grow some Proteaceae (also Australian species) in pots! :blink: I am told they need a lot of wind and fresh air. So, perhaps I could try one on my balcony one day. Just have to make provision against frost. :wink:

Yes, I happily own Christians book about his and his fellows journey to the Cape region in 2009 - showing spectacular specimens of Roridula gorgonias and dentata in the fynbos. And also a couple of breath taking Protea flowers of course! :woot:

Thank you for posting these wonderful flowers!

Andreas

Hi Ian,

Hopefully see you there.

Andreas, I had them in pots for a few years but they became too large to put inthe Drosera house every winter so I planted them out. Yes, plenty of air movement around them (like Roridula). If you can accomodate them, they are stunning and worth a try.

Nigel HC