My latest seeds.

Ian_P

I just thought I'd post a pic of my latest seeds, which I bagged up last night, ready for cold stratification.

I put the seeds into folded strips of damp paper towel, then sealed them up in ziploc bags.

I've put the ziploc bags inside the original packets just so I know which one's which.

They are, Drosera Rotundifolia, Dionaea Muscipula "Akai Ryu" and Pinguicula Grandiflora, thought I'd have a go at growing a Butterwort.

DSCF0009.jpg

Regards,

Ian.

• 1 month later...

Update on the new seeds.

Last night, looking through a magnifying glass I noticed that 2 tiny VFT Akai Ryu seedlings had germinated. :-)

I'm really pleased because I had previously found 2 seeds that had gone mouldy, which surprised me as I sowed them onto pure sphagnum!

Anyway, I took a couple of pics,

Seedling 1

VFT_AkaiRyuSeedlings4.jpg

Seedling 2

VFT_AkaiRyuSeedlings2.jpg

Still no signs of life from the Drosera or Pings yet.

Regards,

Ian.

If the ping seeds are viable,you should see something soon.I sow mine fresh and usually get germination in about six weeks,but this is in the same year,most germinate the following spring when winter has had its affect on them.

ada

• Like 1

Just so you know, the Akai Ryu won't actually be Akai Ryu as to end up with the proper clone it can only be reliably propagated asexually.

On Triffid nurseries website, they say VFT 'Akai Ryu' x 'Akai Ryu' so I would assume the offspring would be 'Akai Ryu'. If they're not, then the seed listing is very misleading, it even has an image of an all red plant labelled as 'Akai Ryu' x 'Akai Ryu'. I'll have to wait and see.

Here's the web page, http://www.triffidnurseries.co.uk/browse_products_in_cat.php?pt_id=1&cid=1

Regards,

Ian.

Hello Ian,

I am sorry that you feel mislead.

Richard is correct, in that you can only get the true clone by division or leaf cutting.

The seed you have bought is taken from a genuine Akai ryu clone which I have pollinated using pollen from another genuine Akai Ryu clone. However, in botanical circles this is NOT an acceptable way of propagating the true clone. For example, although I did the pollination by hand, with a brush, perhaps a Bumble bee flew into the polytunnel the day before (when I wasn't looking) and pollinated that same flower....with pollen from another VFT clone? You just cant be 100% sure, and so you cant be sure that the seed offspring will therefore be 100% pure.

People on this Forum know I have never any intention of misleading anyone, but the rules for Botanical nomenclature and propagation are what they are. So glad that the seeds have germinated well for you, but your seedlings are indeed Akai Ryu X Akai Ryu... most probably....but perhaps Akai Ryu X Wacky traps, or Dracula, if a pollinating insect got to that particular flower before my paint brush!!

Hoppe this explains things a bit better.

Good Luck and Kind Regards

Andy

• Like 2

In addition to the above even a Akai Ryu x Akai Ryu will not produce a true Akai Ryu as it will be genetically different due to the fact that genes come in pairs called alleles and during cell division to produce the gametes one of the pairs goes to one cell and the other to another cell and which of the pairs goes where is random so when you are talking many thousands of gene pairs on probably dozens of chromosomes then no two pollen or egg cells are identical. In addition to this during this type of cell division genes can actually swap around or be removed completely shuffling the genes even more. So when a pollen comes together with an egg even from the same plant the genetic makeup (genotype) of the plant produced will be different from the parent plant, even though it may be phenotypically the same as the parent i.e. look the same.

• Like 1