Cat deterrent

bazgoodman

Hi

My dad had a problem with cats in his garden and near his bird table. Has anyone tried the ultrasonic cat scarers? Ive also heard that tiger poo can be used, has anyone used this method?

Cheers

Baz

Baz, a mate of mine who raced pigeons had one of the ultra sonic cat deterents.It didn't work for him and all it gave me was a headache! they say people above a certain age cant hear it,but i always could.

ada

Fred,only you would have thought of that.

But,yes it would.

I have heard that in some areas where they have trouble with teenagers hanging around they have employed these devices to good effect(minus the sprinkler)

ada

Thanks guys, i thought perhaps the ultrasonic gadets might not work, I'd read that the sprinklers work well but there isnt a mains tap nearby, looks I'll have to find somewhere that sells Lion poo!

Cheers

There used to be a method of filling empty 2Ltr pop bottles with water and just have them stood up in the garden, Something to do with the weird reflection apparently but I've no idea if any evidence supports thier effectiveness.

There used to be a method of filling empty 2Ltr pop bottles with water and just have them stood up in the garden, Something to do with the weird reflection apparently but I've no idea if any evidence supports thier effectiveness.

They're very effective if thrown accurately :D

We keep a few hens including bantams in our garden so we've tried various so-called cat deterrents (but not lion poo) to discourage unwanted felines with varying degrees of success.

We had a battery operated ultrasonic device which was useless, I even saw a cat peeing on it once! A mate of mine had a 230V device which he reckoned worked (he could hear it but I couldn't).

Only one of the smelly deterrents seemed to have any effect, I think it was called Renedene, came with some of those plastic tubs with a lid (like slug catchers) in which a rag soaked with the Renedene was placed. It smelled a bit like creosote and was fairly long lasting due to the lids. We didn't have any luck with other smelly stuff like citronella scented gels or pellets because the scent soon fades.

We've got fences all round our garden so these days we're relying on spikes on top of the fence to try to stop them getting in in the first place. We use a couple of types of spikes, strips with small conical spikes and pigeon deterrent spikes. We found that young cats could actually walk along the conical spike strips, albeit slowly and gingerly, the pigeon spikes seem better but if you spot a cat in the garden and chase it it'll run right up the fence and straight over the top no matter what spikes are on it....that can be quite satisfying though :yes:

Somewhere was recommending scattering orange peel but that looked a real mess and you can't cover the whole garden in peel, the pop bottle thing didn't work for us either.

Good luck.

I think it is called Renardine. It's been banned now. (Thanks EU). I've tried most recommended deterrents. The cat watch ultrasonic does work on some cats, but for most of the deterrents they eventually get used to them. The water sprayer is prob the best, but a small fast dog is definitely better!

I think it is called Renardine. It's been banned now. (Thanks EU).

Yes that was it, wondered why I hadn't seen it around for ages.

Edited by Gaz

Hi

Having cats in my garden from neighbours, I have found bamboo kebab skewers pushed in the ground with 5"s

poking out at 45 degree angle stops them unbuckling their belts and dumping (about 0.99p for 50). Something that is also worth a try is dry your tea bags, inpregnate them with embrocation, and place around your pots

they don't like the strong smell(same as tiger poo). If all else fails, buy a jack russel!!!

Regards,

Ian.

If all else fails, buy a jack russel!!!

Regards

Do they clone wicket keepers nowadays?..can I go buy myself a Prior?

Best way to keep a cat out of your garden...get a cat!

To that I must add, I hate jack russels and all the mongeral inbetween crosses that people name as such.

They are yappy and just deserve a good kicking.

An old fashion method that I have used in the past is mothballs. Worked well but only trouble is that I have difficulty getting them now.

Try Amazon, they seem to have plenty.

Concerning mothballs, a recent EU regulation has forbidden them to be marketed and sold in bulk -that's why it is becoming a bit difficult to find them nowadays-, unless they are covered with a plastic mesh case. Apparently it has something to do with traces left on fabrics if they are stored for long time in contact.

To that I must add, I hate jack russels and all the mongeral inbetween crosses that people name as such.

They are yappy and just deserve a good kicking.

I believe Jack Russells taste more like rabbit :D

• 2 months later...

There are these devcies that will spray the cat when it gets close to something you don't want it too. We haven't tried them yet because we don't want to frustrate the already sensitive dog. Right now, we are using the old fashioned spray bottle technique.

• 8 months later...

I find a wet teabag in a slingshot (you know, like the classic black widow ones)makes for a satisfying splat without injuring mr tiddles who belongs to the mad old biddy at no. 4 (you do get a soggy arm from squeezing the bag though. just to warn you). other than that as stephen has previously said, a fast dog will do the job nicely