Hardy Cps (uk)

BillP

Version five with input from Aidan, Alan, Alexa, Maria, droseraholic, Starman and vic Brown

The subject of CPs that are hardy in the UK has come up a couple of times recently so I thought I'd do a quick bit for the FAQ. Please feel free to chip in.

I live in southern UK - the list may be shorter further north. For borderline plants your microclimate will decide (frost pockets etc). Plants in the ground can only freeze from the surface downwards - those in pots can freeze from the sides as well (one hard winter my S.Flava Maxima pot froze solid and split - I still have the plant).

Some of the plants listed below may do better under glass but will do OK outdoors e.g. in a bog garden (and leave you more room in your greenhouse for more tender plants).

As a rough guide to how hardy the plants are I've colour coded them as follows:

GREEN - Plants with a good long term track record of hardiness.

BLUE - Plants that some people have found to be hardy in recent years, but the last few winters have been rather mild.

RED - Rumoured to be hardy but no direct evidence / just survives / not hardy for everyone.

Darlingtonia

Sarracenia:

S.Flava (including cultivars such as "Maxima")

S.Purpurea (Purpurea, venosa and Heterophylla)

Hybrids of these (Catesbaei etc)

I have heard that S.Rubra Jonsii is hardy - never tried it

My S.Alata has survived a few winters - but is not thriving

S.Oreophila

My S.Rubra (not a Jonsii) has been outdoors for many years - it is at deaths door

S.Leucophylla

S.Psittacina

S.Rubra alabamensis

S.Rubra gulfensis "giant form"

S.x Excellens

S.alata x flava "maxima"

S.x Moorei

S.x Mitchelliana

S.( leu x rubra ) x ( leu x minor )

S.x popei

Pinguicula:

P.vulgaris

P.grandiflora

P.lucitanica

P.alpina

P.corsica - mine has survived outdoors for years but is not happy

Drosera:

D.Anglica

D.Rotundifolia

D.Intermedia

D.Capensis (regrows from roots)

D.Arcturi

D.Stenopetala

D.Spatulata 'Alpine Form, Mt Ruapehu'

D.Binata (regrows from roots)

D.Aliciae (regrows from roots)

D.anglica (regrows from roots)

D.Filiformis Filiformis

D.Filiformis Tracyi

D.Linearis

D.Aliciae (regrows from roots) is hardier than D.Filiformis Tracyi

D.Dielsiana

D.'Slackii'

Utricularias

U.Vulgaris

U.inflata

U.dichotama

U.macrorhiza

U.Bisquatama

U.Monanthos

U.Sandersonii

U.Subulata

Venus Flytrap

Opinion is divided. To improve its chances protect it from waterlogging by using a sandy soil and plant in a raised or sloping part of the bog, cover the crown to keep the worst of the weather out of the corm over winter.

Cephalotus

One adventurous soul (Alan) is growing this outdoors in a sheltered spot. Amazing!

Last updated - 5th October 2007

I would also add Drosera binata (most forms, but perhaps excluding the D.binata var multifida variants) as being hardy, at least in the southern half of UK. My D.binata var dichotoma 'Giant Type' has survived being frozen solid down to at least -8C, probably lower. The same for D.aliciae and D.capensis.

These will usually die above ground back to their roots, but will sprout again in mid spring.

As always though, with these I would recommend that you always keep a spare plant or two just frost free under cover, to protect against loss from the possibility of an exceptionally cold winter.

I've grown the following three alpine sundews, from New Zealand, outside in the UK in my bog garden for a few years; Drosera arcturi (4 years), Drosera stenopetala (4 years) and Drosera spatulata 'Alpine Form, Mt Ruapehu' (2 years).

I'll second Adam (Droseraholic) on D. binata, I've had several forms growing outside for three years without problems. My 'T' forms from New Zealand are particularly hardy, not surprising as they get pretty cold winters in habitat.

Drosera capensis has also survived 4 years in my mini-bog, dieing down each winter and coming back from it's roots in spring.

I find that whilst both varieties of Drosera filiformis can survive our cold winters, they have a tendancy to rot in late winter/early spring if we get sharp, late frosts and I bring them inside, under glass around mid-February.

Utricularia bisquatama survived last winter; outside in a pot of Sarracenia rubra ssp. jonesii, which is also very hardy, along with Sarracenia oreophila. Last year, all species and sub-species of Sarracenia survived outside for me, with the exception of Sarracenia psittacina, which I kept in an unheated cold frame.

I've planted Utricularia monanthos into the wettest part of my mini-bog this year, this alpine bladderwort should also be hardy.

Our last 4-5 winters have been very mild though (min. temp. recorded here in SW Cambridgeshire = -8C, most years only -6C). If we get a much colder winter, I'll be throwing fleece over my bog and moving plants in pots and tubs into the garage during it.

Vic

• 5 months later...
Guest fairydreams

I've found that all Sarracenias grow ok outside, if repotted regularly. My entire collection went outside in the nineties and after a couple of years aclimated. The problem was leaving things non-repotted. Most Sarracenias don't do well competing against a fully fledged oak tree in their pots :D

You will find that whether or not they look glorious will depend on the weather that particular year, but they will survive. Trying to get viable seed from outdoor grown plants is a lot harder.

• 1 month later...
Guest Wim Geraedts

Dear Sir's,

Living in the east of Holland in US-hardiness-zone 7, I grow yearround the following species in my bogs (number of winters growing outdoors):

Sarr. alata (2 years, thriving)

Sarr. flava var. maxima (8 years, thriving)

Sarr. leucophylla (8 years, thriving, although each years leafs appear very late (around first of juli)

Sarr. minor (8 years, even seedlings thriving)

Sarr. oreophila (2 years, thriving)

Sarr. psitacina (8 years, even seedlings thriving)

Sarr. purp.purp (8 years, thriving: more or less a pest in my garden!)

Sarr. purp.ssp. venosa (2 years, thriving)

Sarr. rubra ssp. jonesii (It was sold to me as such)(8 years, surviving)

Sarr. rubra ssp. wherry (4 years, thriving)

Sarr. x mitchelliana (8 years, thriving)

Sarr. x Stevensii (8 years, thriving)

Dionea musp. (8 years, with wintercover surviving)

Darlingtonia calif. (4 years, more or less thriving)

Ping. alpina (3 years, thriving)

Ping. balcanica (3 years, surviving)

Ping. bohemica (1 year, surviving)

Ping. corsica (1 year, surviving)

Ping. grandiflora (30 years, very thriving)

Ping. lucitanica (3 years, got no luck with this one)

Ping. macroceras (4 years, thriving)

Ping. vulgaris (5 years, slowly it gets better, although it native here)

Dros. anglica (6 years, difficult species, although some plants thrive)

Dros. binata (0 years, my first winter)

Dros. brevifolia (0 years, my first winter)

Dros. capillaris (0 years, my first winter)

Dros. filif. filif. (3 year, just surviving)

Dros. intermedia (30 years, thriving, depending on location)

Dros. rotundifolia (30 years, thriving, depending on location)

Dros. x beleziana (0 years, surviving unill today)

Dros. x hybrida (0 years, surviving untill today)

Dros. x obovata (6 years, thriving)

Drosophylum lusitanica (0 years, surviving untill today despite minus 11o C.!)

Absolute minimum on bog surface so far: minus 22o C. 4 years ago.

Al plants are well rooted en well established in the bogs. best planting time is end of May.

Best wishes for 2005 and a happy growing,

Wim.

Utricularia inflata is hardy in the UK - it grows better for me outside than in and flowers fairly reliably. I don't know if it would take freezing, but is happy under ice. Plants grown in a large water tank are dark green, bushy and produce many and large traps, compared to plants inside which are weedy.

Giles

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Cornfedapache

What about a BYBLIS LINIFLORA

Would this work outside all year round, do you think?

or a Utricularia Livida for that matter?

Couldn't see them on the lists above, but don't know if that's coz no one knows or you can't!!!

My pygmy D. 'lake badgerup' survived the -7 deg outside this winter, not sure how many of the little guys came through, but i can see a small number made it.

PS My D Scorpiodes survived the winter in the unheated greenhouse, and are now flowering (first time for me). Normally i bring them in the house and kill them. (but get some gemmae)

• 2 months later...

Drosera Slackii also survived the winter outside, but its not going to be very big before next winter, so maybe not a good candidate...

PS i think all of the 'Lake Badgerup' survived outside, but they get overgrown...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Bob Brown

Hi, Im in the Scottish highlands with harsh and long winters, several prolonged hard frosts and a short growing season (Yeh I know its not ideal for CPs)! but I have had success outside with:

In a 14" mixed pot for the last 4 years

Dionaea - stunnted but still going

Flava typical - Stunted but getting stronger each year

Pinguicula vulgaris and grandiflora

In a second 14" pot

S.Pururia - thriving

S. pstticiana - stunted

In 6" pots - 2 years

S.oreopila - Doing well, put these out due to Botrytis outbreak and thought id just see what happened, the botrytis has not re appered and they are dooing ok, flowered last year.

S.rubra subs jonsii - 1st year out side but looks ok

And of course all the Native sundews and hybrids of.

I Have an un heated Green house since summer, so dont know what will re amerge this summer but i will keep you posted.

• 11 months later...

One of my VFT's was left outside last year, I had it in a deep water tray because nothing else was available. When it rained the water filled up above the pot and froze, so some of the traps were half in and half out the ice. it recovered fully and grew very well the following summer. So I would say that they are fully hardy.

• 8 months later...

That's very impressive successes Bob.

I live further south in Fife, and I always find my CP's prone to rot; I used a free draining compost and relied upon natural rainfall patterns, yet most (including my S.purperea!) rotted by early Jan.

The only plant I have had success with outside year round, in harsh conditions, is S. x "wrigleyana". Flowers every year and is growing strong. It is still producing pitcher leaves as we speak.

-Grant

Hi, Im in the Scottish highlands with harsh and long winters, several prolonged hard frosts and a short growing season (Yeh I know its not ideal for CPs)! but I have had success outside with:

In a 14" mixed pot for the last 4 years

Dionaea - stunnted but still going

Flava typical - Stunted but getting stronger each year

Pinguicula vulgaris and grandiflora

In a second 14" pot

S.Pururia - thriving

S. pstticiana - stunted

In 6" pots - 2 years

S.oreopila - Doing well, put these out due to Botrytis outbreak and thought id just see what happened, the botrytis has not re appered and they are dooing ok, flowered last year.

S.rubra subs jonsii - 1st year out side but looks ok

And of course all the Native sundews and hybrids of.

I Have an un heated Green house since summer, so dont know what will re amerge this summer but i will keep you posted.