Sign in to follow this  
Nepaholic

VFT patches updates?!

Hi all friends

I remember i have send out a bunch of vft patches a few years ago.

How turned your plants out?

My plants are doing great but it took a few months until they have shown signs of patches...

Now they are great and produce patches on each trap...

Cheers

Jens

Very nice! The red patches contrast well with the yellowy green traps.

Wouldn't mind one if you have any spare this year, Jens.

Trev

If you have any for sale please PM me with the price

Awesome. Did you got the plant from me?

Yes it seems IMO they need a growing season to show the patches. But after this they are stable and steady grower

Although I realize that mine is an unpopular view among those who like "Patches" (or "Spotty," or "Charlie Mandon's Spotted," or other variegated Venus Flytraps), I believe that the variegation is caused by a virus.

I agree that the plants and the coloration are attractive; I just don't believe that the variegation is part of the plant's own genetic code. I'm hopeful that a mere statement of my opinion won't start too contentious a discussion of the issue. :smile:

Edited by FlytrapRanch

didnt we discussed this in an older thread?

i´m sure this is not caused by a virus... i asked some good friends about their opinion and they told me it is not a virus...

Having the plants for 3 years among my other flytraps and the "virus" you talk about didnt spread....

didnt we discussed this in an older thread?

i´m sure this is not caused by a virus... i asked some good friends about their opinion and they told me it is not a virus...

Having the plants for 3 years among my other flytraps and the "virus" you talk about didnt spread....

You're right we've had this before Jens. Geoff who is the father of this plant so to speak,got quite annoyed about all this talk of virus, apparantly "Patches" was tested thoroughly.......no virus.

apparantly "Patches" was tested thoroughly.......no virus.

Patches was tested for virus? Do you know any of the details?

Yes, Nepaholic (Jens), there was a discussion of this issue several years ago. In my view, that discussion was confusing and far from conclusive.

I was under the impression (perhaps wrong) that one had to test for a specific virus; that there was not just a generic test to determine whether a plant "has a virus" or "does not have a virus"; there are hundreds of plant viruses that have been identified and tests developed to identify so far, and probably many others that have no tests developed for as yet, or have not even been formally identified. But I'm not an expert in the subject.

Here is a list of some of the plant viruses that tests have been developed for.

http://www.acdiainc....rPlantVirus.htm

Viruses named for a particular plant are not necessarily confined to that plant. (The tobacco mosaic virus, cucumber mosaic virus and potato leafroll virus all affect tomatoes, for example.)

Edited by FlytrapRanch

You could try a simple experiment. Infect the patches with aphid and allow them to feed mybe a week. Then transfer them to a plant free from the patches characteristic and see if the healthy plant develop the characteristic. You could also macerate the cell from the patches and inject the fluid into a healthy plant to see what happens.

Well yeah I also think that Geoff mention to me that it is virus free. If anyone have the chance to make a serious test I can donate a few plants fresh out of my lab...