Ideal pots for vfts

linuxman

I've read that venus' flytraps have deep roots and therefore like deep pots. I've found some pots that are 10cm x 10cm x 17cm deep. Are these too deep or OK? And are they only suitable for mature plants? I was wondering about getting the right moisture content in the top few cms of the compost for the smaller plants.

Also when would be the best time to transplants my existing plants to their new homes?

Thanks,

17 centimeters is a nice depth for Venus Flytraps. The roots can easily grow to more than 20 centimeters in depth. Many of the pots I use for adult plants are at least 17 centimeters deep. Most of them are greater than 10 centimeters in diameter, but Venus Flytraps need more room downward than horizontally anyway, since their roots are not branched (just quite a few single roots growing almost straight downward).

I would personally think that a 10x10x17 centimeter pot (where did you find such narrow but deep pots anyway?) :smile: would easily accommodate a couple mature Venus Flytraps or 3-4 young ones.

If you can post a photo of the pot you mention, that would be helpful for those of us that are curious about them. :Laie_97:

Edited by FlytrapRanch

I would personally think that a 10x10x17 centimeter pot (where did you find such narrow but deep pots anyway?) :smile: would easily accommodate a couple mature Venus Flytraps or 3-4 young ones.

If you can post a photo of the pot you mention, that would be helpful for those of us that are curious about them. :Laie_97:

I would guess they're UK and Europe only but I found them here.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

This year I'm using bigger pots in summer with high temperatures I have problems, the substrate becomes hot and some plants die, I hope this problem is solved with these big pots.

Those white pots should work a treat. Best of luck with your temperature problems, not something we normally worry about here :(

Regards,

• 2 months later...

Personally I don´t use so much deep pots, because I am repotting my dionaea every year and I would spend so much peat. Could I ask you, where did you buy such nice white pots?

Personally I don´t use so much deep pots, because I am repotting my dionaea every year and I would spend so much peat. Could I ask you, where did you buy such nice white pots?

I bought them in a growshop, are used for the cultivation of cannabis .

Thanks! Overheating of my plants in a greenhouse forces me to change all pots on white ones...