Heat mat

If you are growing carnivorous plants, and you are trying to recreate the environment they live in. When you are looking to give the carnivorous plants the heat that they experience in their natural habitat. One method I have thought of is a heat pad, they are economical, (14 watts), however I don't know how a fully grown venus fly trap (Dionaea muscipula), or pitcher plant seeds, will take to heat coming from underneath through the roots. I don't want to kill my carnivorous plants.

Has anyone had any experience using a heat pad on a carnivorous plant? If so, is it safe? and have you got good results from it?

I used one under my propagator to successfully germinate Cephalotus seeds last year and this year I have one under some more Ceph seeds and one under a small terrarium containing some Nepenthes seeds.

As you say, they are economical to use and as far as results go, I had 2 out of 3 Ceph seeds germinate, 66% success is a good result.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Ian.

Thank you Ian, I kindly appreciate the information. Does anyone know whether a fully grown venus fly trap will respond well to a heat pad being under it, or will it kill the plant?

I use an electric propagator = enclosed heat pad and lid, to start all my sarracenia seeds, it gets them going early and the bottom heat encourages the roots downward and promotes robust growth.

It depends on how much area your 14W is concentrated in as to how hot it will get, unless you can incorporate a thermostat into it to switch off when it get too hot. If you stand your plants in a tray of water on the mat that will dissipate the heat evenly and should prevent overheating.

Cheers

Steve

I wouldn't be inclined to use a heat mat on a VFT. My trouble with VFT's is keeping them cold enough in the winter. I have just started growing VFT's in my wife's unheated greenhouse which I know will be ideal for them. I gave up VFT's for a while because I just didn't have the right conditions, despite the number plate on my car being M1 VFT (Mi VFT).

I would have thought that a heat mat would be good for providing the venus fly traps with the conditions they need. I have done some research on the Internet, and the ideal temperature for a venus fly trap is between 20 - 25 degrees.

I would have thought that a heat mat would be good for providing the venus fly traps with the conditions they need. I have done some research on the Internet, and the ideal temperature for a venus fly trap is between 20 - 25 degrees.

but they like a winter dormancy, so cooler temperatures in the winter, they can even get some frost (but not too much)

Dormancy is good in the winter, in the summer, they get all the sunlight and heat they need. But in the Spring and Autumn, the temperature isn't the ideal level for Venus flytraps and pitcher plants to grow to their full potential.