Sign in to follow this  
Rodrigo

Is the end of a species?

Hello friends CPUK, why be writing this topic and why I have a question and would like to count on your help: recently took a taste for the cultivation of Pinguiculas and enjoy reading all about this genus of carnivorous plants.

That's when I came across a curious Pinguicula, native of the Dominican Republic, called P. casabitoana. My joy, however, was short-lived, because I learned that due to the passage of the hurricane George in 1998, the only known populations of this plant eventually destroyed.

A hobbyist, famous among growers of carnivorous plants (Paul Temple), photographed years later (2011) very few specimens of this plant in Alto Casabito, their place of origin, but they were so few copies that he said he doubted that this plant would continue there in the next decade.

The point is; someone that knows forum posts say if this plant is extinct, because I can not find any more meaningful information about it on the internet?

Note: Please forgive me my bad english, if you have committed some blunder.

Best Regards,

Rodrigo

Edited by Rodrigo

Fique tranquilo meu amigo! ;)

P.casabitoana is alive and as well as it can be... until its forests are torn down.

I was just talking to Paul about this plant a few days ago, and I think he said he knows of 5 or 7 locations - where 1 location = 1 tree. (Yes, it's epiphytic)

I know, that doesn't sound like much... But it's likely that there are more locations, if anybody bothered to explore further.

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

recently took a taste for the cultivation of Pinguiculas and enjoy reading all about this genus of carnivorous plants.

You are welcomed in our "Pinguicula amateurs club" :give_heart:

Edited by epbb

Rivadavia -

P.casabitoana is alive and as well as it can be... until its forests are torn down.

I was just talking to Paul about this plant a few days ago, and I think he said he knows of 5 or 7 locations - where 1 location = 1 tree. (Yes, it's epiphytic)

I know, that doesn't sound like much... But it's likely that there are more locations, if anybody bothered to explore further.

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

Thank you for the information my friend, I confess that now I was relieved to know that this plant is not extinct.

Eric -

You are welcomed in our "Pinguicula amateurs club" :give_heart:

Invitation accepted, thank you.

Best regards,

Rodrigo

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

Hi there

Doesn't P.casabitoana also growing in mountains of Haiti? On the other hand, hurricane can help to spread species to different places (mountains). But for the sake of saving(in case something goes wrong) these rare species (P.casabitoana, Cuban sp. etc.) they perhaps should be introduce to in vitro. I know that Mr. Temple did try in 90s, I think and it didn't work out unfortunately but now there are new techniques which may work better.

Raci

Edited by Raci22

The issue is the species P. c. is supposedly only found growing on a single kind of tree. So conserve it, you have to first cultivate or protect managed stands of these trees.