A new peat free growing medium...

Hi Guillaume,

thanks for sharing.

I have a question about Sarracenia seedlings:

I noticed that just germinated seedlings die if they can not pierce the substrate (50/50 peat/perlite), for example when it encourtes a piece of perlite.

Do you noticed same with your Sarracenia seedlings? What is your germination ratio with your medium?

thank you.

Edited by Nico91

I'm surprised at this unusual substrate, i confess that i was not taking this story very seriously, but after seeing these pictures i am convinced that this is the result of dedication to the hobby.

I would not venture to make use of it in my cultivation, since i feel that i lack feeling for this feat. In any case I can only wish him good luck in the hobby and, thus, to the next and be at peace.

Best Regards,

Rodrigo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All your plants look fantastic & so healthy, but could you please tell me, the Dionaea in the first photo you posted yesterday, are they Microdent ??

Edited by nigel09

Very interesting, you are basically using granite, which, as I read, is acidic, but otherwise should be completely inert, correct? So it's basically hydroponics, no?

Very interesting, you are basically using granite, which, as I read, is acidic, but otherwise should be completely inert, correct? So it's basically hydroponics, no?

True granite consists of quartz and alkali feldspar, though the word granite is loosely used commercially for various rock with a visible grain and harder than marble. So, composition can vary depending on the definition.

If you're interested: http://geology.com/rocks/granite.shtml

• Like 1