Sign in to follow this  
carnivorous triffid

Anyone have difficulties with P x tina entering dry dormancy?

I have had a ping x tina for a couple of years and when I first got it from the local garden centre it had a couple of flowers. However, since then its never flowered again. My other mexican pings are all producing their succulent winter leaves just now but Tina refuses to do so. Does the plant need cooler temperatures than an unheated east facing windowsill for it to start producing its winter leaves?

Also if anyone has a picture of what the plant looks like with its winter leaves, I'd be delighted

Thanks

Hi I've not had my Pinguicula x Tina long, maybe a couple of months now, however within a week of me owning the plants I noticed that they began producing small succulent leaves. I have kept them more or less bone dry since then.

Im not sure if it was the shock of transportation which triggered them going into dormancy as I have read they tend to go into dormancy when they want.

I keep the plants on my bedroom window sill, which is bright but receives no direct sun light.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Hi, had mine almost a year from one of the forum members, it flowered once during the summer and has just started putting up 2 or 3 new flower stalks in the last week or so. I haven't noticed it producing any succulent leaves, it's in a propagator in the greenhouse. Propagator is set at 5C but so far has only been down to about 8 or 9. The x tina and the rest of my mex. pings haven't been watered for a while but the vents on the propagator have been closed and I noticed some mould tonight so must improve the airflow over the weekend.

I'll try to get a pic. tomorrow.

This is what my Pinguicula 'tina' looks like at the moment. It's kept on a east(ish)-facing windowsill which receives no direct sunlight in the winter. The temperature ranges from maybe 16-21 degrees. I gradually reduce watering in the autumn.

Pinguicula 'tina' winter rosette

Pinguicula 'tina' winter rosette closeup

Had another look at mine and now I'm not so sure whether these are winter succulent leaves or not, they're definitely smaller and firmer but still a bit sticky and both plants in the pot are about to flower so I guess it's safe to say it's not dormant despite the low temps. I assume with the size of the x tina it's not going to have the very compact succulent leaves which some of the smaller species have. Anyway here it is...

Ptinajan13a.jpg

PtinaP1191080.jpg

PtinaP1191082.jpg

Gaz, it is a hybrid, and so the characteristics of the parent species are sort of smeared together in the hybrids.

There are three main kinds of Mexican Pinguicula: Heterophyllous, bulb forming species, homophyllous and species which are sort of in between these extremes. Most hybrids will combine at least two of these three groups, so the cultivation needs will also be intermediate between what the parent species experience in habitat.

For example, it might grow smaller more succulent leaves in the winter, but they might also still be carnivorous as the one parent doesn't have the genetic instruction to turn off the trapping/digestive glands production. Whether is a good thing or not depends on whether it helps the plants survive winter or cause them to expend resources without seeing a benefit...

Why does this page do weird things to the fonts?

thanks for the info Dave