Watering advice for asclepiads please

Gaz

I got some nice huernia zebrinas and a hoya carnosa plant (many thanks to Stephen) all potted up in clay pots in a good free draining compost. They currently live on my south-ish facing windowsill in a central heated room but also heated by a log fire each evening at this time of year. Temps ranging from around 15-30C.

I've recently noticed that the larger huernia is already show signs of new growth.

My questions is what sort of watering regime should I operate for these plants? So far I haven't watered at all as I was worried about causing them to rot but I recently read somewhere that if kept totally dry over winter the roots may die off and then it's difficult to resurrect in Spring.

So should I completely withhold water in Winter? If so when do I start to water again and then how much and should I also add fertiliser at the same time...I read they need plenty of water and fertiliser to encourage blooming. What exactly does "plenty" of water mean in this context? Is it recommended to water from above or below.

Sorry for so many questions but these are my first asclepiads and I'm keen to succeed with them.

Finally are there any online nurseries anyone can recommend where I can buy more of these plants? I had a look at a few sellers on ebay but their feedback put me off in the end.

Thanks for any advice.

Hello, I have both huernia and hoya carnosa. My hoya bloomed a few times this summer, there should be some pictures around here somewhere. It has an awesome smell!

Anyway, my hoya carnosa is kept inside on the windowsill facing southwest. I keep it pretty dry. I water it perhaps once every 10-15 days. It's a very hardy plant. You can water it more often, it won't complain.

My huernia is outside throughout the year. It even gets some snow. I water it very rarely during winter about once every month. I don't fertilise during the winter, I start doing that around April/May.

You are growing it inside so your conditions are like spring/summer except the light of course. I water my huernia regularly in the warm months, about once every 10 days. I fertilise freely as well...It's very hardy and almost never stops blooming.

Hehe Gary I have to admit I'm a bit reckless with my plants, even my tropical drosera get snow during the winter. It is mild here though, snow never stays more than a day or two, at least not at the coast where I live.

Cacti and succulents in general seem to do much better after a period of cold, so I leave them all outside throughout the year.