Utricularia campbelliana pictures - including traps.

mobile

Hi,

nice plant you've got there - hope it flowers soon for you! I also would like to see your setup and a full picture of the U. campbelliana pot, if possible...

It took long for me to get it finally to flower!

I guess you use LED and a mini-fridge??

cheers

Marc

To be honest, the set-up is so simple that I'm almost embarrassed to show it :lol: I had initially set up a wine chiller as a terrarium in anticipation of receiving this plant, but it was hit with several technical issues. Having received the plant I was left with a little dilemma of how to to keep it alive for a short time while I sorted out alternative cooling, so I made a temporary set-up. The plant took rather well to this temporary set-up though, so I have decided to keep it in there.

It basically consists of a glass preserving jar, with glass lid, with the rubber seal removed. There is a small fan affixed to the inside of the lid, to provide some air circulation. The jar is illuminated from overhead using a 12W, 4 band LED lamp. There is no refrigeration or any attempt made at temperature control. The plant has been growing like this for many months and it is growing fast (for a campbelliana).

The media consists of a lower layer of sterilised very coarse peat. The moss on top of the peat grows locally here on rocks and walls. Watering is done once every two weeks, when I fill the jar with RO water for half-hour or so, before draining.

DSC_0305.JPG

DSC_0306.JPG

Wow - that plant is becoming a weed for you. I'm shocked about the micro-fan -- but a very interesting addition to your setup (although you may have an issue if it decides to flower for you .....) 8^0

Congratulations on some successful innovation!

I was wary of stagnant air and possible fungal issues without fan, as the jar will not get any natural air movement. The fan has been in there from day one without any issues. Flowering indeed will be an issue, as the jar is not very tall. Like I said, it was only ever intended to be temporary, but now I'm wary of changing it. How tall do the flower stalks get?

Oh quite nice cultivation there well done & thanks for sharing !

Utrics are full of surprises.... I tried growing this last year from Czech merchants but the McDonalds milk pots loaded into a A4 propagator just rotted my efforts - mea culpa - but, to my surprise the Utrics planted the year before (different species - U. ???) suddenyl started flowering despite no evidence of leaves. Then I looked closer and decided that my knowledge of moss species is in need of some brushing up. Volunteers ?

I like the perpendicular fan mounting - no gales in your Kilner jar then.

What is a 4-band LED please? Can you adjust the frequency of illumination?

Edited by ewjlamb

4-band simply refers to the four LED wavelengths, though technically one of them is not a specific wavelength, as it's white. The LED's are Red 660nm, Orange 615nm, Blue 455nm and Warm white 2700k

Have you ever stuck a temp probe in there during the day to see what the temps are?

I had one in there a few months ago and the temperature was low to mid 20s °C. The night time drop was negligible.