A Christmas orchid ^^

Guest Andreas Eils

Guest Andreas Eils

Hello my dear,

I hope you´ve all had nice Christmas days and gifts. :D

To my very surprise one of my orchids sent out flower buds for Christmas and the first one opened just in time! I´ve been at my parents over the holidays and when I´ve come back yesterday the second flower has been open. I´ve taken the digital cam of my stepfather and made some snapshots.

This is a Restrepia orchid and according to the information the donator has given me it could be a Restrepia falkenbergii or a hybrid with R. falkenbergii as one ancestor. Comparisons with other R. falkenbergii flower pictures on the web suggest that my specimen is most likely a hybrid. The "tongue" of my flowers look significantly different to that one of the other "Falkenbergiis" I´ve seen. Well, in the end the flower looks like an ALIEN anyway, doesn´t it? :wink:

gallery_1944_362_59613.jpg

More flowers to come as you might detect. =D

gallery_1944_362_70802.jpg

gallery_1944_362_86297.jpg

gallery_1944_362_85397.jpg

Not bad, is it?

Bye

Andreas

• Like 1

really wonderful Andreas, and the log mount looks interesting too....any chance of posting a pic of the whole thing?

PS hope you had a grand Christmas too with gifts other than the nice ones from your Restrepia.

Guest Andreas Eils

Hello everybody,

thank you very much for your kind comments. :Laie_71mini:

wow! the contrast between the flowers and the leaves is unreal! so awesome!

It could be my plant is standing a little too bright. The leaves also have a slight violet hue on the upper surface which makes the green a little unreal. :blush:

....and the log mount looks interesting too....any chance of posting a pic of the whole thing?

Not completely but almost completely. :D

gallery_1944_362_23339.jpg

That thing is considered to be a part of a mangrove root that I bought at a pet store. It´s a decoration piece for terraria. But I often use it as a background for photographing plants. Unfortunately the "log mount" is too small to cover both Restrepia flowers in all perspectives... :oops:

Ahem, yes, I have cut out an area of the background in the photo. There is actually a window behind the mangrove root and the original photography stupidly shows the reflection of the photographer!!!!! :blush: :blush: :blush: I prefer to save you the view of my ugly face! ;o)

Too bad the flowers of Restrepia don´t seem to be long-lasting! The first flower is already wilting! :(

Regards

Andreas

@andreas: im sorry, i think my comment ended up being lost in translation. when i said "unreal" i meant "unbelievable or amazing" to that effect. it was in no way criticizing your photo's composition. a beautiful plant indeed, i think you captured it rather very well!

Guest Andreas Eils

Ah, okay. (And I was wondering if the white balance of the camera was set correctly... :laugh: ) But you wouldn´t have been so wrong with "unreal" in the literal sense. The leaves looked more typical green when I received the plant. The fluorescent tubes are directly above the lid of the only 40 cm high terrarium, so they are no more than approx. 10 - 15 cm away from the plant. It´s perhaps a little too close for the Restrepia. *?* But I think the carnivorous inhabitants like Heliamphora ionasii and Nepenthes platychila need it that bright. So, the orchids have to cope with that. ;o)

Umm...before I left my home for a couple of days because of the holidays I have obviously overwatered the Restrepia! :oops: The flowers have collapsed and the leaves got wrinkly. I guess some roots have rot....*aaaaaarrrrggggghhhh*!!!! The xaxim and the moss are definitely not too dry!

:shout:

Embarrassed Andreas