D. ascendens x tomentosa var. glabrata

Hello everybody,

some time ago i tried to cross D. ascendens ("Bandeira Peak") with D. tomentosa var. glabrata (´Carrancas, Minas Gerais, Brazil´).

The seed germinated in very high quantity and they have been relatively fast growers. The plants will flower for the first time now and of course the scapes are glandular and not hairy as they are in D. ascendens x tomentosa var. tomentosa or the reciprocal crossing. But their appearance is extremely similar.

In a few days when i have a little bit more time i will show how the flowers look like, i missed the first flowers.

For comparison here you can see pictures of the crossings with D. tomentosa var. tomentosa instead of var. glabrata:

D. ascendens x tomentosa var. tomentosa http://www.cpukforum...sa&fromsearch=1

D. tomentosa var. tomentosa x ascendens http://www.cpukforum...68&hl=ascendens

And here is D. ascendens x tomentosa var. glabrata

P1310416a.jpg

P1310428a.jpg

P1310557a.jpg

P1310544a.jpg

P1310632a.jpg

P1310654a.jpg

some more scapes

P1320055a.jpg

and more, till now 5 emerging scapes but i think a few more will follow

P1320563a.jpg

D. ascendens x tomentosa var. glabrata (left) and D. ascendens x tomentosa var. tomentosa (right)

P1320578a.jpg

And here we have a family picture (not my best one), D. tomentosa var. glabrata (left), D. ascendens x tomentosa var. glabrata (middle) and D. ascendens (right)

P1320589a.jpg

I hope you like it.

Edited by Daniel O.

And here are two more hybrids, i have to admit that they are not the most spectacular hybrids but they have worked as well. I grow these plants since a longer time now but somehow i have never shown pictures, in fact these two hybrids have been my first ones.

So here we have D. tomentosa var. glabrata x D. tomentosa var. tomentosa and the reciprocal crossing. Both crossings have semi hairy scapes (lower part hairy, upper part glandular) and the seed of these crossings is fertile. Both hybrids have these tentacles with bilateral simetry in the leaf appex.

These hybrids have really long scapes, more than 40cm.

In fact all my hybrids produce very long scapes.

D. tomentosa var. glabrata X tomentosa var. tomentosa

P1300474a.jpg

P1300618a.jpg

P1300725a.jpg

they often have two scapes at the same time

P1310957a.jpg

in the upper part the scapes are absolutely unhairy

P1310885a.jpg

P1310906a.jpg

P1320025a.jpg

And now D. tomentosa var. tomentosa x D. tomentosa var. glabrata

P1300986a.jpg

P1310195a.jpg

P1310305a.jpg

P1320118a.jpg

both flowers next to each other, the flowers of D. var. glabrata x var. tomentosa are a little bit bigger but i have to say that all my true var. glabrata forms i grow have bigger flowers than all my var. tomentosa forms.

P1320121a.jpg

And here for comparison both parents.

D. tomentosa var. tomentosa ´Morro Do Jambeiro, Grão Mogol, Minas Gerais, Brazil´ (very hairy)

P1310255a.jpg

D. tomentosa var. glabrata ´Carrancas, Minas Gerais, Brazil´ (glandular)

P1310672a.jpg

Best regards,

Dani

Many thanks, i´m really happy that at least a few of you like these hybrids nethertheless they are not that spectacular.

@Dusan, perhaps you have not seen it but i made the crossing between D. ascendens and D. schwackei some time ago, but in this case it was the "Bandeira Peak" form instead of the form you mentioned.

They look similar to the hybrids between D. ascendens and D. tomentosa var. tomentosa but they are a little bit more reddish/violett coloured, here is the link, you have to scroll a little bit downwards: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34002&hl=schwackei

Best regards,

Dani

Congratulations once again Dani!!!

Coincidentally, just as I found your post, I was looking at some old pics of what I believe are natural D.ascendens X D.tomentosa from Diamantina. Well your pics helped convince me that those plants were in fact hybrids. :)

As for the glabrata X tomentosa hybrid, I am very happy you made this one too and I am happy to hear it is fertile! I made a similar cross ~20 years ago, but I don't think the plants produced seed (although they dis show nice intermediately hairy scapes).

Anyway, thanks tons for your efforts, it definitely helps us better understand the possible relationships between these taxa, as well as understand some of the little monsters we've seen in the wild over the years. ;)

Keep up the good work and Merry Xmas to all!

Fernando Rivadavia

Edited by Fernando Rivadavia

Thanks Fernando.

My next hybrid i will present soon clearly will have a very long scape as well.

It´s really strange, perhaps because they are not self-fertile in most cases and by these long scapes the chance is higher to be pollinated.

In the past you mentioned hybrids within the hirtella complex, do these plants also have longer scapes?

BTW, D. spec. "Bahia" has also extremely long scapes; in the moment my plants are again in flower and the scape of the biggest plant is more than 40cm long. Is it sure it´s a true species?

Best regards,

Dani

Hello Dani,

Yes I am sure D.sp.Bahia is not a hybrid because there is nothing else in that region that could generate such a hybrid.

Yes the scapes can be long and wiry, but this is possibly an adaptation to the semi-shaded canyon habitats this species is often found growing in. In fact, could you please remeasure and confirm that scape length please? This is longer than any we've seen and may be interesting to include in its publication - which will hopefully be out sometime in 2013... fingers crossed! ;)

As for true Drosera hybrids, I've seen a few with long scapes, longer even than one or both parents. Off the top of my head I can remember D.grantsaui X D.communis (D.X fontinalis), D.communis X D.hirtella var.lutescens, D.anglica X D.rotundifolia. I'd have to re-measure others to be sure, or check my field notes, but I think there were a few more.

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

• 2 weeks later...

After i have shown pictures of the rosettes of D. ascendens x tomentosa var. glabrata i also want to show some flower pictures. The flowers have nearly the same size as D. ascendens has and they look very similar too D. ascendens x tomentosa var. tomentosa.

Here we go.

P1320709a.jpg

P1320330a-1.jpg

P1320614a.jpg

The scapes of the next flowers are more greenish because of the long scapes i had to increase the distance to the lights.

P1320621a.jpg

P1320719a.jpg

P1320629a.jpg

a bouquet of flowers

P1320547a.jpg

Comparison with the flower of D. tomentosa var. glabrata (right).

P1320373a-1.jpg

Comparison with D. ascendens x tomentosa var. tomentosa (right)

P1320392a.jpg

Comparison with D. ascendens x tomentosa var. tomentosa (right)

P1320730a.jpg

Comparison with D. ascendens x schwackei (left) and D. ascendens x tomentosa var. tomentosa (right)

P1320851a.jpg

D. ascendens x tomentosa var. glabrata (left), D. ascendens x schwackei (middle) and D. ascendens x tomentosa var. tomentosa (right), not my best picture

P1320835a.jpg

I would not wonder if this hybrid is fertil.

Best regards,

Dani

Many thanks to both of you.

Of course i will report if this hybrid is fertil or not.

The next hybrid i will show soon is for sure more interesting because of it´s very hairy scapes, the plants look very similar to plants found in the Grão Mogol area.

Best regards,

Dani

Edited by Daniel O.

As expected these plants produced some seed nevertheless i have not pollinated them.

Here are some pictures of the seed, the seed looks really intermediate.

50-times magnified

Mikroskop1a.jpg

200-times magnified

Mikroskop2a.jpg

D. tomentosa var. glabrata (left), D. tomentosa var. glabrata x D. ascendens (middle), and D. ascendens (right)

Mikroskop3a.jpg

D. tomentosa var. glabrata (left), D. tomentosa var. glabrata x D. ascendens (middle), and D. ascendens (right)

Mikroskop4a-1.jpg

I would not wonder if this seed will germinate so we probably have another fertile hybrid.

Best regards,

Dani

Edited by Daniel O.

• 11 months later...

Hey Dani,

Don't forget to relabel your "D.ascendens" hybrids as D.latifolia, check the link below:

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51688

You will also find that D.latifolia is split into several "morphotypes". The morphotype from the Pico da Bandeira/ Serra do Caparaó is really unique - but the form in cultivation does not really resemble the plants in the wild, so I suspect somebody gots seeds mixed up somewhere.

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

Hi Fernando,

really very interesting article :clapping: and it´s good to see that you splitted D. latifolia into several morphotypes.

What do you think, should i change the superscripts of some of my postings?

BTW, the seed of this hybrid here i collected about one year ago germinated.

Best regards,

Dani

Hello Dani,

I'm not sure what would be less confusing... If you change the titles of topics, readers may be confused with some of the comments. If you don't, they may be mislead.

Maybe if you change the titles of topics and then add a note within the first post of the thread?

I'll leave the choice to you, whatever you think is best! ;)

Fernando

P.S. Interesting to hear that this hybrid is fertile! Would you say good fertility?

Edited by Fernando Rivadavia

Hi Fernando,

perhaps we should let it like it´s now, at least you posted the link to the new species description so everybody can see it if she/he reads the topics precisely. Everything else could be too iritating.

About the fertility of this hybrid, well, if you do not pollinate them by hand they produce a smaller number of seed, sometimes even nothing, but if you pollinate them by hand the fertility is really good. Similar to some of my earlier crossings like D. latifolia x tomentosa var. tomentosa, tomentosa var. tomentosa x latifolia and D. latifolia x schwackei.

Best regards,

Dani

• Like 1