A few Tepui Drosera

Hello,

i have not shown true species for a longer time now, so here are a few Tepui Drosera.

D. meristocaulis ´north west plateaus of Cerro Neblina, border Brazil/Venezuela´ opened it´s flower for the first time nearly completely, in most cases it does not open it´s flowers at all so selfing was always difficult and nearly not possible.

P1250647aa.jpg

P1250692a.jpg

P1250669a.jpg

P1250688a.jpg

after selfing

P1250703a.jpg

D. hirticalyx ´Kukenan´

P1250365a.jpg

a group of plants

P1250358a.jpg

D. roraimae ´Gran Sabana, SE Bolívar,Venezuela´ "red plants" (not really a Tepui plant, but....)

P1240574a.jpg

four open flowers at the same time

P1240601a.jpg

D. roraimae ´Cerro Adaua, Estado Bolivar, Venezuela´

P1220888a.jpg

P1220884a.jpg

D. roraimae ´Kukenan Tepui, Venezuela´

P1320201a.jpg

P1320200a.jpg

D. esmeraldae ´Cerro Duida, Venezuela´

P1260500a.jpg

P1270958a.jpg

D. kaieteurensis ´Chimanta Tepui´

P1320198a.jpg

D. felix ´Tuku Maruku, Gran Sabana´ (also not a Tepui plant but....)

P1270900a.jpg

plants with full seed capsule

P1290925a.jpg

D. solaris ´Mt. Yakontipu, Pakaraima Mountains, Guyana´

P1230158a.jpg

P1290989a.jpg

D. arenicola ´Cerro Duida, Venezuela´

P1230058a.jpg

P1230060a.jpg

D. spec. ´Duida´ (probably D. yutajensis) tried often to flower in the past but the flower stalks stopped with their development, somehow they dried out.

P1220878a.jpg

P1220874a.jpg

I hope you like them.

Best regards,

Dani

• Like 8

Hi Dani.Very nice and healthy South-American family!!

I like the contrast between the beautiful burgundy red leaves and a very large white flower.

Could be a pygmy when he was living in W.A. :-)

btw: I've missed your visit in Bonn last summer!! You were only there on Thursday? Hopefully next time !!

Guest Andreas Eils

Dani!!! :good2:

Nice to see your incredible plants again! You coincidentally don´t live on a Tepui now, do you? ;-)

That "Meristocaulis"-thingy looks really interesting! D. solaris looks like an Australian pygmy! :sarcastic_hand: My favourite is still D. roraimae! Some of yours are already growing a small stem, huh?! :) Perhaps you have a few spare seeds of the Kukenam form....???? :whistling:

Anyway it was a wonderful sight! Thanks for showing!

Andreas

Amazing plants! I don't think I've even heard of some of these plants, they look amazing. D. solaris looks oddly similar to some of the petiolaris 'dews, but smaller.

Many thanks for all the kind words. :smile:

@Iggy, so fare as i know only D. meristocaulis is a "pygmy Drosera" but some of the others are indeed also relatively small.

Do you mean the EEE in Bonn?

When have you been there, i have been there on Friday and it would have been a pleasure to meet you, hopefully it will work next time.

@Vince, leaf cuttings work (the hole leaf) but not very good and it´s a little bit risky, especially in the case of D. arenicola so i don´t take any more cuttings from this species because in the past i have lost a few adult plants and it lasts a very long time untill a plant is adult. Often plants of this species also die unforeseeable so it´s always better to have more than one plant in your collection.

@Andreas, if i could life there i would. :devious:

I have to agree that D. solaris somehow also looks like a pygmy Drosera, but this time it´s not the case.

I´m very happy to hear that your D. roraimae are still alive and also started to form a stem and you are absolutely right, this red form is also my favourite among all the D. roraimae location forms. :P

@Adam, it´s good to hear that your D. spec. Duida is fine and it´s really a strange phenomenon with these dying flower scapes, hopefully it will work next time.

Best regards,

Dani

My babies!!!! :) Happy to see they're doing so well for you, congrats!

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

P.S. For those of you who don't remember, D.meristocaulis *is* a pygmy sundew:

http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/content/110/1/11.abstract

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10334&st=0

Guest Andreas Eils

Hi! :thumright:

@Andreas,....

I´m very happy to hear that your D. roraimae are still alive and also started to form a stem....

Noo, you have misunderstood me! ;-) I meant that your own plants shown in the pictures already have little stems. :)

I have only been able to keep ONE D. roraimae Gran Sabana. The second plant didn´t survive my move from Paderborn to Bremen. And no seeds of the last batch germinated! :( I note a new flower stalk appearing and hope to get seeds again.

Apart from that I WANT THE KUKENAM FORM, TOO! :woot: (her damit! ;-) )

Tell us your secret.

*Cough* I´m not sure if I shall reveal this...ahem...every time Dani travels to Bulgaria he consults a famous sorceress and she sends a magic spell over the plants that makes them stronger, more powerful, healthier and better coloured! :yes:

*lol* You BELIEVE it´s magic, when you see Dani´s plants, don´t you?! :laugh:

Kind regards

Andreas

*Cough* I´m not sure if I shall reveal this...ahem...every time Dani travels to Bulgaria he consults a famous sorceress and she sends a magic spell over the plants that makes them stronger, more powerful, healthier and better coloured! :yes:

Hmmm, what`s the price for such spell? Trichobezoar? Virgin blood? Unicorn`s horn? :biggrin:

Hi Daniel.

After 06 months ... ... my D. meristocaulis seeds born.

I loved these plants, the mother-plant picture is fantastic.

How long time they are adults?

Ah, the other plants are amazing too :preved:,

I never saw a healthy solaris in culture.

Thanks for sharing your plants.

Carlos.

Many thanks again. :yes:

@Andreas, you are right, my mistake. In fact these stems are about 3cm but the other species also form stems.

Good to hear that at least one plant survived, hopefully it will produce some new seed; normally it germinates in good quantity.

For my sadness i do not have any spares of the Kukenan form in the moment but i can offer you the Adaua form. :smile:

But i can´t understand how you could reveal my deal with Galadriel :nono: , she will not be very amused. :evil:

@Carlos, really good to hear that the seed germinated but i have to disappoint you, it will take a very long time until you will collect any own seed, much longer than for all the brazilian species.

This species is an extremely slow grower, similar to D. solaris and D. arenicola. But in fact all the Tepui Drosera seem to be slower growers.

@Aymeric, perhaps Andreas is right with his guess. :laugh1:

I grow them like all my other Drosera in open trays, perhaps you remember my old thread about my setup:http://www.cpukforum...=+setup +daniel

Most of the Tepui plants grow in the two lower trays, so perhaps the temperatures are even marginally lower.

But somehow nobody noticed the malformed flower of D. arenicola :wink: , i realized it yesterday after posting the pictures, only Iggy noticed that the flower is very huge because of the 6 petals instead of 5. Later i was browsing older pictures i took in the past and i realized that the plants have relatively often 6 petals and this malformation affects not only one plant but nearly all adult plants.

So here are some more pictures:

again with 6 petals

P1190652a.jpg

with 5 petals

P1140501a.jpg

younger plants also with 5 sepals

P1080836a.jpg

and a combination with 5 and 6 sepals :smile:

P1160893aa.jpg

Best regards,

Dani

They are georgeous Daniel!

So many jewels in one post. I have a question,,does your d. kaieteurensis 'Chimanta Tepuis' form seeds easily? Mine flower like crazy all season (sometimes 5 flower stalks per plant), but somehow they produce only few seeds, even when I hand-pollinate them. Maybe it is the elevated air humidity but I am not sure.

Thanks for the post :)

Many thanks Dusan. :smile:

Yes, it forms seed without any problems, even without hand-pollination.

But i think to remember that the form from ´La Escalera, Bolivar, Venezuela´ produces more seed under my conditions. Do you grow this location form, does it form more seed?

How high is your air humidity?

Best regards,

Dani

Hi, Danny,

the reason why I think it is high humidity is that when I grew them in the greenhouse without automatic watering system with air humidity 40%/80% (day/night) they formed somewhat more seeds, the first seedpods. Later in the summer the weather got more arid so I installed watering system (water soaking the mulching bark layer on the bottom of my GH), the humidity elevated to 60%/100% and following seedpods were mostly empty. The insects cannot access inside of the GH easily (there is a shading cloth in the door frame), but I dont think that is much of relevance because from what I know the flowers are self-fertile. I dont grow the Bolivar form so I cannot compare. Other SAm species were producing seeds just fine all season. What is your humidity for this plant? Thanx ;)

Guest Andreas Eils

Hi Dani,

was? Galadriel? Herr der Ringe?? *prust* :lol: ;o)

But, you know, I wouldn´t call a six-petaled flower malformed. For me it would be a nice alternation. It happens sometimes on my pygmy flowers. As well as - but rarer - four petaled flowers appear.

;-)

Andreas