Ceph Disaster

naz

Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me any information regarding my query. I've come home today to find my niece has dropped one of my young cuttings. I have repotted it but am very worried if it will survive or not. Has anyone had any similar experiences and could you please tell me if the plant survived or not? Many thanks for your help.

Hi naz

That's not good. This has happened to one of my ceph's before. I repotted it and after it settled back in it was fine. They are normally quite tough plants. They can look completely dead sometime's but they often regrow from there roots.

Thanks

Mark

I find young plants more resistant than older plants. I would not worry too much about it.

I have had young plants scratched out by blackbirds, knocked over by cats and dropped, with very few casuaties if repotted soon after. I have been told that in the wild small plants, that have grown from pieces broken off by cattle trampling big plants, are very resistant to damage by being moved about by water and other disturbances until they get firmly rooted.

I had something similar happen to me, but it was me that dropped an adult plant when moving it. This was a few days ago and all but a couple of pitchers lids have closed. I am not hopeful of it surviving.

Edited by Dode

Thank you everyone for your replies. Sorry to hear about your plant Dode. Does anyone know how long after a plant has been dropped will it show signs of ill health if it was to? So far the the plant of mine which was dropped by my niece seems to be doing okay. Thanks

I had something similar happen to me, but it was me that dropped an adult plant when moving it. This was a few days ago and all but a couple of pitchers lids have closed. I am not hopeful of it surviving.

I hope you removed some leaves and or pitchers to root as back up

Thank you everyone for your replies. Sorry to hear about your plant Dode. Does anyone know how long after a plant has been dropped will it show signs of ill health if it was to? So far the the plant of mine which was dropped by my niece seems to be doing okay. Thanks

Give it a week. Be aware, if it has a good thick rhizome, it may lose all its leaves and its growth point, yet still survive. Just don't over water if it dies back. If there are no signs of pitchers wilting, then don't stress. It may just slow down growth while it replaces roots.

Edited by Marcus B

Thanks for your reply Marcus. The plant of mine is only a young cutting, which I bought from a forum member. I'd guess its around 6months old or roughly there about. I really do hope it pulls through as I've only had it for around 3 weeks and im totally hooked on it.