This LED light of interest to anyone?

I recently bought one of these, the 10 watt version, to use as a floodlight for my garden, but thought that they might be of interest to others. Extremely bright, the 10 W version is quite small and might be suitable for lighting a small tray of plants or terrarium, bigger ones for bigger areas...? Thought that the colour was appropriate too. Any thoughts?

LED floodlight

I'm not an electrical wizard Stephen, I'll leave that to them to price out.

I'll just stick to putting a bank or two of led growlights together :D

BTW I was keeping an eye on those floodlights, £9 inc P&P is about the best I've seen them as a BIN price.

I suspect next spring summer will bring the price down.

Thought that the colour was appropriate too.

Not really. One of the advantages of using LEDs over fluorescents is that you can choose the wavelengths that most closely match the plants requirement. This advantage is somewhat diminished when using white LEDs.

except that nobody wants their plants to look purple! :D

That is sure! It wouldn't suit my living room.

And I really appreciate how the plants look like under these lights, especially the shiny hairs. I didn't have the opportunity to watch them under my typical PL lamps.

Edited by Vince81

except that nobody wants their plants to look purple! :D

Green plants actually look black :smile:

One way around this is to add some supplimentary white light, to please the human eye.The plants will get a little benefit out of it too.

Hi

IMO white LED are worthless for lighting plants.

We made many research this year about LED and threw away much money for this but found out that if you use the right wavelengths it can be very efficient. I now use since beginning of the year LED Stripes in my lab and the plants love it plus i save more than 50% in energy costs.

I also use these lights in my basement and living room for Heliamphora, Nepenthes and some other stuff and it work awesome..

Hi

IMO white LED are worthless for lighting plants.

We made many research this year about LED and threw away much money for this but found out that if you use the right wavelengths it can be very efficient. I now use since beginning of the year LED Stripes in my lab and the plants love it plus i save more than 50% in energy costs.

I also use these lights in my basement and living room for Heliamphora, Nepenthes and some other stuff and it work awesome..

More information please

Well

I use Stripes with 5050 LED Chipset. And different wavelenghts, it depends on what you want to grow.

They work awesome and we did a group order together with Wistuba, he also changed his lights in the lab to stripes.

Here are some pics from my test setup in the living room

2012-11-07%2010.50.55.jpg?m=1352283048

N. pervileii grown under LED

2012-11-07%2010.51.59.jpg?m=1352283058

I wrote some time ago about the stripes on my homepage(sorry dont have much time for updates)

Please take a look here

http://jb-botanics.com/led-lights/

Well

I use Stripes with 5050 LED Chipset. And different wavelenghts, it depends on what you want to grow.

They work awesome and we did a group order together with Wistuba, he also changed his lights in the lab to stripes.

Here are some pics from my test setup in the living room

2012-11-07%2010.50.55.jpg?m=1352283048

N. pervileii grown under LED

2012-11-07%2010.51.59.jpg?m=1352283058

I wrote some time ago about the stripes on my homepage(sorry dont have much time for updates)

Please take a look here

http://jb-botanics.com/led-lights/

Very informative, thank you :D