Sign in to follow this  
Greg Allan

Drosera stolonifera disaster

I have a nice sized D stolonifera plant. The tuber is about 7mm across. For the past two seasons, it has produced a large plant. Today, my impatience got the better of me and I took the substrate out of the pot in order to see whether it was coming out of dormancy. The tuber is a healthy orange colour and there is a stem several cm in length rising from its centre almost to the surface of the substrate. Unfortunately, I accidentally removed the top 2 or 3mm of the growing point. My question is whether that it for this plant, or is the stem able to produce a new growing point? I would be very disappointed to lose this plant, especially as I have just invested in greenhouse lighting in order to provide optimum winder conditions for winter-growers.

Greg

My question is whether that it for this plant, or is the stem able to produce a new growing point?

Greg

There is no problem for an new growing point.

This occur many time to some of my tuberous drosera, D.aff pallida, D.huegeli, D.erythrogyne ... the plant always make a new point

by

Hi Greg,

you could even use that to propargate your plants as both the stolon (at least if broken at its base) and the tuber may develop into plants. At least that was my observation when I received a D. macrophylla tuber with the stolon broken off (directly at the tuber). I never dared to try this on any of my own tubers, however.

Cheers

Dieter

It is working well like Dieter wrote, especially for larger forms due more supply of the food from stolon.

Tuber will sprout again the stolon or will develop new tuber (no new grow on the surface).

So do not dig again :-) just wait for new season, and pot the broken stolon.

Regards

Hi,

Many thanks for all of the advice. The plant has indeed produced a new growing point (although the broken tip was too small to make into a cutting, unfortunately).

Greg