Nepenthes and Drosera pics

Hi,

Some pics from my collection.

h12albomarginata.JPGh12boschiana.JPG

N. albomarginata (Ayer Itam, Penang), and N. boschiana (Sakoembang).

h12hybrid2.JPGh12hybrid3.JPG

Siblings of N. ("thorelii" x trusmadiensis) x veitchii.

h12kerrii.JPGsep12chang.JPG

N. kerrii, and N. chang.

h12stenophylla.JPGh12veitchii.JPG

N. stenophylla, and N. veitchii (both from Bario). Still young, but they are starting to show some promise. An indentation on the pitcher lid of the former, does make it look like it has a large appendage on the underside. The pitcher before it had the same thing, so it will be interesting to see if this trait will remain.

sep12raffkasongan.JPGh12raffkatingan.JPG

N. rafflesiana (Kasongan) - the plants from this seed batch appears to be the so called "giant form", and N. rafflesiana (Katingan) - from a batch of seed incorrectly labeled N. ampullaria. Going by how rigid the leaves are I believe this is the "regular" form.

h12thorelii.JPGsep12kampotiana.JPG

N. "thorelii" (Binh Chau Hot Spring), and what came to me labeled as N. kampotiana from the Binh Chau area. Time will hopefully tell what they are.

h12aristo.JPG

Small N. aristolochioides that has finally decided to increase in size,

h12glabrata.JPGsep12raffsiding.JPG

Small N. glabrata (G. Lumut) with a rather elongated pitcher, and a young N. rafflesiana (Siding) - the pod parent is supposed to be a winged tendril form (var. alata), but as can be seen that doesn't guarantee that the offspring will get this trait. Hopefully some of the other siblings might show this trait though. However, it seems that the pitchers of this one will have large domed lids, which is something I really like in this species.

h12clipeata.JPGh12neoguineensis.JPG

N. clipeata - which I am trying to contain in the pot, and N. neoguineensis (Jayapura).

h12ventxveitchii.JPG

A collaboration with Nadja resulted in this one - N. ventricosa x veitchii.

The genus Drosera have taken a back-seat in my collection the last few years, and I have lost several species. This year I decided to re-stock with some new ones:

h12droserapot.JPG

Drosera neocaledonica (Col de Plum) together with what looks like D. affinis (Namibia). I have tried the latter species twice with poor results, and I lost the main plants. However, when repotting what I believed was some D. madagascariensis (Botswana) it appears now when bigger that they actually are D. affinis.

h12pilosa.JPGh12flexicaulis.JPG

D. pilosa (South of Kapiri Mposhi), which looks pretty much like D. burkeana (Johannesburg) to me, and Drosera flexicaulis (Mbala).

h12grantsaui.JPG

I have also started some from seed, here are D. grantsaui (Grao Mogol)...

h12paradoxa.JPG

...and D. paradoxa (Drysdale). I decided that it was time to start a new generation of this one. Although the parents (which are approx. 8 years now) still grow well, they do look a bit scruffy now.

Regards,

Christer

Hello Christer,

Thanks for the great pics! I'm very curious about your D.pilosa, since I'm one of the original collectors of this plant. We were not too sure of ID when we saw it near Kapiri Mposhi in Zambia and I confess the differences between this species and D.burkeana still confound me a bit. Do you have more pics of the scapes and flowers?

Thanks and good luck!

Fernando

Thanks everyone!

Fernando,

I haven't been able to see any open flowers on them yet, only buds about to open (or close). Whether it is my growing conditions, or if the flowers normally only are open a short while I can't say. With my D. burkeana (Johannesburg) it was the same story. That one also have the hairy scapes with few pink flowers.

Here's a pic of a flower scape on D. pilosa.

h12pilosaflower.JPG

Regards,

Christer

Do you see any differences in the hairyness of the scapes? In the curvature (or lack of) at the base of the scapes?

Do you remember who you got your Johannesburg plants from? Is there any location data? I wonder if those are from my collection in 1997... :)

Thanks!

Fernando

Hi Fernando,

I checked the D. pilosa, and the base of the inflorescences on all the plants look pretty much like on the plant in my first post. Possibly they are not as strongly curved as on my D. burkeana (see below) Here's another closer look at D. pilosa showing the hairs.

h12pilosabud.JPG

Currently I don't have any mature (flowering) D. burkeana to compare with, so here are a couple of old pics. I do remember the inflorescence on the plants having a distinct curve at the base.

Here's a pic showing the hairs. This pic seem to have a reddish tone, so I don't know how well it fits the true colors.

burkeanabud.jpg

Plant of D. burkeana.

h12burkeana.JPG

I did actually find an old pic where the flower was open, but four-petalled.

h12burkeanaflower.JPG

I got the seed from Allen Lowrie in the end of 1999. Actually, we discussed this actual plant as early as in 2001 on the CP list. You then thought the seed had been supplied either by you, or R. Gibson. You were at that time a bit puzzled by the hairy inflorescences, since you didn't remember if the plants in-situ did have this characteristic.

Regards,

Christer

• 5 years later...