Nepenthes ampullaria 'Brunei Red' x 'Harlequin'

Rikass

Hi everybody :D

I'm thinking in buying an n. ampullaria,

is going to be my first lowland, I want to try cultivating lows in my house ahah

I read a lot about them and after making some tests in the place I want to put her I have some questions.

I'm thinking in put her near a window around some plants, the humidity in this place is about 70-80%, the temperatures now in the winter can go up to 24ºC during the day, and in the coldest nights never lower than 13ºC...

What do you think?

Any advise?

Thanks ;)

If you're going to try a lowlander, ampullaria is one of the toughest. It can tolerate occasional cool nights, down to 13C on occasion, but it won't put up with nights down to 13C on a regular basis- it'll be dead in a few weeks.

Realistically, you need nights at 18C to keep this one alive... and it'll only grow well when days are over 24C and nights are over 20C.

OK, thanks for the comment, the ampullaria that I order is one that is adapted to windowsill conditions...

Down to 13ºC rarely this happen... It's like a greenhouse the place that I'm thinking in put her...

But if she starts to do bad in the place, I put her in my terrarium...

Thanks ;)

Edited by Rikass

I'm not so sure about the limits set upon N.Ampullaria as far as Temperature is concerned. In winter Temps get down to about 2 deg c here and both my Ampullaria's and Bicalcarata Survive just fine. they do not like it and Pitchers die off. Leaves burn a little on some leaves, but Mine always recover in spring every year.

The difficulty comes from putting the plant in what can be considered poor conditions. In good, warm humid conditions N. ampullaria is very easy. But in cool humid condition, it probably will grow poorly. But perhaps not. You should still try, and maybe not just one clone; but understand finding one that enjoys those conditions will be the challenge here. All lowland nepenthes species enjoy warm to hot conditions, there isn't much one can do about it :)

The best lowlander to try would be one that's more intermediate.

I think that there's many of us who have tried to push the limits with Nep growing, whether it's lowlanders in highland conditions or vice versa, and as a broad generalisation, the conclusions are that lowlanders need lowland conditions and highlanders need highland conditions.

Peter- you're saying that amps and bicals survive with temperatures regularly down to 2C? I'll agree that lowlanders can take brief spells of this sort of extreme cold: a couple of nights here and there, eg during a heating failure, but my experience suggests that this isn't an effective long term strategy.

Rikass- if you're going to try a lowlander in your conditions, ampullaria would be the best one to start with. It's fairly tough as they go- and most importantly- it's fairly cheap, so you won't be looking at a big financial loss.

Thank you for the comments!

Yes I think the same, it's very cheap, mine comes with 30 cm of diameter so a little big, maybe more chances of survive, in the spring i'm thinking in getting lowii? It's the oposite of the ampullaria I know lol...

But I also have a part of the house that is warm at the day, but at night it's very cold, it's in a window to...

What's your advices about the lowii? It grows well?

Thanks